Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Silicone I gives off acetic acid while curing. This is the vinegar smell. A friend of mine worked in Axelrod's aquarium building company many years ago and still has problems from the damage it did to his sinuses and lungs. Your body gives you no warning of the dangers of breathing in acid vapor. The hazard of smelling this stuff prompted the development of Silicone II which instead gives off ammonia. Your body knows about ammonia. II has about 80% of the strength of the original formulation, plenty for building a tank. Once the II is completely cured, it no longer gives off ammonia, but until then it is not safe with fish. If you do all your assembly and curing in a separate place from your fish, there should be no problem. However the company is off the hook with their disclaimer. I always use the original stuff but make sure have ventilation in the area, and a fan blowing fresh air right at my work site.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Someone mentioned bath and tub caulk. That contains a mildewcide which will leach out into the water affecting fish and plants. The most common mildewcide used in this product is arsenic, a slow acting cumulative poison.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
KMbrush, the Silicone II gives off ammonia while curing, so use it and cure it in a spot far away from all fish tanks. It does not contain arsenic or any other mildewcides. It is not as strong as original silicone but safer for you to use since breathing the acetic acid fumes from the original formulation is harzardous. Even the stronger formulation does not stick well to plastic pipe and many rocks. You could try Oatey brand all purpose cement instead. You can score the rocks and put some cement there to dry out before assembling the whole thing. http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2637 ... 6-oz-.html

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Agnag said:
I found a GE Silicone\Acrylic tube at a good price (dollar a tube). I read the back and didn't see any warnings about not intended for aquarium use, and there was not mildew resistent printed anywhere. I was wondering if this would work?.... I think if it has acrylic mixed with it, after it cures it might crack... What do you think.
I think it is window caulk. Caulk is not adhesive like silicone rubber, so unless you are lucky, it probably won't work. It would be great at that price to practice with it before assembing a tank for real. Get some cardboard boxes and practise laying in a smooth bead inside the box.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Chriis said:
I all

i saw a company on the web, MrAqua or someting, they sell big frameless tank and specify
that they use Germany made special silicone,..that is suppose to held lot more ,..

"Mr. Aqua utilizes a thicker glass for increased rigidity with a specially formulated silicone manufactured in Germany that bonds the glass together with extreme strength while being safe for your fish and aquatic life"

Any heard of this silicone?

Chriis
I saw that German silicone on Aquabid a while back. It has not been posted for auction lately. And the last auctions for it are too old to be searchable. You might ask Swiss Tropicals.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Borsig said:
Is this info still accurate?

GE silicone I window and door?
Obviously you are not asking about the prices.. Prices keep going up even if the consumer price index fails to notice.

Be sure the product you are buying is the same as the one discussed. I would take personal preferences with a grain of salt. Like the last one. The GE may have worked better for him the second time because he learned better how to clean all the old silicone and dirt off the aquarium glass. The dirt factor can have a huge bearing on the strength and durability of a bond.

Some of these formulations may be the same as ever, but now made overseas and imported.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Pdxmonkeyboy said:
I have always wondered what the effect of the mold inhibitor actually was. I mean, the silicone itself would not mold, but what it leach out into the tank water??
It appears to leach out into the water, killing fish and plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts