Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in giving my Mbuna a treat and I was just curious about any special preparation needed and how often I should do it.

I've read that blanching then is all I need to do and that I should give it to them no more than once a week. I just wanted some more experienced members to validate or refute my understanding of this.

I'm pretty wary about feeding them "people food," but I've seen videos and it seems like they really like it. I just want to do it right. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Boil some water throw in the zucchini for a couple minutes. Don't let the water change colors that means your loosing nutrients. you are just softening it not cooking it. Tie it to a rock and toss it in. I usually give it to them around noon and pull out whats left the next morning. That way the plecos, loaches, catfish etc. have a midnight snack.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Like lucid said boiling with make it loose some of its nutrients. What I do is cut up an whole zucchini and toss it in tupperware container and then right into the freezer. Then when I want to feed one i just grab it out and thaw in some tank water. The freezing and thawing softens it up nicely and no lose of any good stuff.

If I want to use a peice before I freeze it then I microwave it with a little water for a little bit and toss it in on a fork or in my veggie clip.

Also I found out my Mbuna got NUTS for honey dew melon so I am gonna try with more fruits as well and see how it goes. Figured I have water melon, cantaloupe, honey dew, and pears all cut up in the fridge so why not. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just tried this(feeding zucchini) for the first time today and mine is not even nibbling it..should i leave it in there for like 12 hours and see what happens?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.