Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can you guys tell me from this little video I made if my guess is right about my zebras? At the store they were labelled Maylandia zebra blue and maylandia zebra red..
After some digging in the profile section I think the blue ones are Metriaclima callainos and the orange ones Metriaclima estherae...altho i'm not sure at all.

Also two of my yellow labs dont have alot of black on their fins.. is it a sign they are hybrids or can they color up as they mature?

(they are a bit frantic sorry)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The lab at :38 and :48 looks pure.

I'd say yes, those are estherae and callainos, though at least one of the "estherae" has a strangely sloped forehead (too gradual, looks like a cross with Labidochromis). The yellow labs with no black on their fins are likely hybrids, since they should have at least SOME black, even if it's not fully showing yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
it look like red zebra ( Metriaclima estherae) (Red)and cobalt zebra (Metriaclima callainos). your yellow labs will color up or not depending if he the dom. male or not. but he will get his black as he grow. but i do see some hybrid labs too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the quick replies

dielikemoviestars said:
though at least one of the "estherae" has a strangely sloped forehead (too gradual, looks like a cross with Labidochromis).
Yes it would make sense as 2 of my estherea are not from the same batch as the biggest one..oh well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.