Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I had a dominant male zebra kenyii that i moved to a different tank where he ended up getting picked on by a very mean M. arautus. i removed the mean fish, and he was okay or what ever but today i found him upside down, with red spots ...looked like blood? redish dots i guess that looked like blood i mean. he's still breathing but he is unable to turn right side up? looks alittle bloated aswell. anyone have any idea what happened to him? he was in a 50gal moved him to my sump for what was going to only be a day or two. its a 60 gallon sump hooked up to a 135gallon.

anyways really got me wondering what happened to it so i thought i would ask around here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I couldn't bare to leave him like he was cuz he couldn't turn upright..... i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could have done this to him ....... maybe he got stuck on a pump? I have always worried about them hurting themselves on it but none have..... It couldn't have been a sickness that messed him up like that within 16 hours... ?? could it have been?

i have seen bloat before and he almost kinda reminded me of it but it took a week or two to fully kill my fish last time and that fish was never retarded upside down .....it was more on its side.

:-?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just had this happen to a yellow lab. Over time another male yellow lab, pick on and beat on him. I moved him to my 55 where another male in the tank (smaller) still picked on him. He got very stress and ended up swimming upside down. I moved him to a 10g hospital tank and dosed with Melafix but he ended up dying in 2 days.

So if you moved your fish to a new tank, it sounds like the Arautus beat on him. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but isolate the fish dose with Melefix and see if he gets better.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
rgr4475 said:

So if you moved your fish to a new tank, it sounds like the Arautus beat on him. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but isolate the fish dose with Melefix and see if he gets better.
Ditto. And the fish may indeed get better so hang in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts