Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up 6 juvie z-rock cichlids.

So as the title says, what do I need to know? I have demasoni and yellow labs with tons of rock work. Do the z-rocks like a lot of rock work?

What's their ideal tank setup? Rocks, sand, plants?

Do you all like them?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Z rocks do not require alot of rock work. I have about 11 in a 75 with the more docile mbuna - about 4 yellow labs and 1 "survivor" acei. I have never had them in a tank with demasoni.

Z rocks are rather docile. I bought a dozen juvies a year ago. Based on the luck of the draw I have about 7 or 8 males and 3 or 4 females and they get along great currently.

I really don't recommend putting them in with demasoni but I have never tried it myself and this is based on demasoni reputation. I would say do it at your own risk, especially if the demasoni already established territory.

My setup is sand and two rock piles loosely stacked. The yellow labs like the rocks more than the z rocks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I didn't make my first post clear... I'm not going to be putting the Z-rocks in with the demasoni, they'll get a tank all to themselves :)

So for a tank dedicated to z-rocks, what's the best?

·
Registered
363 Posts
For 6 juvies a 20L should be find for now until they start to color up. Long term, you could get away with either a 40B or a 55. 40B = 2 males (maybe), 55 = 2 males (definitely), possibly room for a third.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mine only go in the rocks if they are scared, if it is a male being harassed, or a holding female. They are in a 55, decorated just as GTZ described, and the males are about 4 inches long. They are very peaceful except for spawning time, when the dominant male picks out another single male he particularly dislikes, and pretty much sticks to chasing him and him alone. This wouldn't be as bad if I had a better male/female ratio, which is currently 3:3. It used to be 4:3, but I had to remove one male due to pretty extreme harassment from the dominant male. In the last round of spawning, which was with only three males, the singled out male got pretty stressed, but I am honestly not sure why, as there was minimal aggression. They are a great fish, I have enjoyed my group, and have raised some of their fry, which have grown faster that I expected, being an inch long at less that three months old. Good luck!
P.S. My tank is decorated with come hollow ceramic rocks I picked some up at ACA 2010, and they have been useful hiding places for the unfortunate male to hide in during spawning time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts