Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious of opinions on here of my current stock list that will be going into my tank. I'm aware of the potential problem with the Lemon Jake that is listed but this fish is currently larger and older than the Mbuna will be. I have seen this be successful before when the Peacocks start off larger than the Mbuna. If it becomes a problem he'll get re-homed. I had actually intended to do an all male show tank but for various reasons have altered course on that. I know I'm a little shallow on females as well but I've tried to specifically target species that have been known to work with a lower female count generally.

These fish will be going in a 75gal Marineland. I've got both a Fluval 406 and a 206 running on the tank and both have an added intake sponge for more surface area. The tank has about 75lbs of Ohko (Dragon) Stone in it with a couple smaller pieces of Driftwood with Java Fern attached for pretty solid cover. I've tried to make several small "caves' for them to retreat into as well. I've also arranged the rocks to try and block sight lines across the tank.

The total number of fish is also a bit high as basically I expect to have to re-home or just lose some to whatever reasons. Not that I hope for that but it's common when raising them up from juveniles. I'd rather end up with too many large fish that I need to re-home than allow the numbers to dwindle down to far then be trying to buy large fish or introduce new juvies after the fact. Anyway it's always good to hear more than just my opinion so I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Elongatus Chewere = 2 Males 4 Females

Melanochromis Maingano = 1 Male 3 Females

Pseudotropheus acei (Msuli) = 1 Male 2 Female (Yellow Tail Acei)

Pseudotropheus acei (ngara) = 1 Male 2 Female (White Tail Acei)

Labidochromis SP = 1 Male 2 Female (Super Red Top Hongi)

Labidochromis Caeruleus = 1 Pair Male/Female (Electric Yellow Lab)

Maylandia Estherae = 1 Male 2 Female (Red Blotched Zebra)

Pseudotropheus Crabro = 1 Male (Bumble Bee)

Aulonocara Jacobbfreibergi (Undu Reef) = 1 Male (Lemon Jake Peacock)

OB Peacock = 1 Male

L 071 Peppermint Bristlenose Pleco = 1 Fish

Synodontis Eupterus = 1 Fish (Feather Fin Catfish)

L 200 = 1 Fish (Green Lemon Spot Pleco)

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would choose 4 species, not counting the 2 peacock males. And stock 1m:4f of each, except maingano 1m:7f.

I would skip crabro and estherae.

I would choose one species of acei.

I would choose one blue barred species...either hongi or elongatus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I would choose 4 species, not counting the 2 peacock males. And stock 1m:4f of each, except maingano 1m:4f.

I would skip crabro and estherae.

I would choose one species of acei.

I would choose one blue barred species...either hongi or elongatus.
Intersting on the Elongatus and Hongi. I wouldve really thought they are different looking enough to be fine together, with the Elongatus having so much black on them.

I assume you've said to drop Crabo and Estherae due to aggressiveness? Im a little locked into trying the Crabo. I told my kid we'd try one as its his favorite. Also i do typically like to have something of a tank boss and something a little larger than the others so Crabo does fit that. However you may be right on it being best to look for an alternative.

Any specific reason on not keeping both of the Acei? *** not had either before but wasnt aware of an issue between them? Not arguing your point just curious is all.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Two species of acei will cross breed. I have mixed hara and demasoni (even more extreme opposite looks) and it was not ideal. Estherae is due to cross breeding with yellow labs. Crabro just a big, mean, ugly fish. They turn brown/black when mature.

Maingano is 1m:7f...I also fixed my original above.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah fair enough. I wasn't really thinking about the cross breeding. Though I don't really intend to keep any fry but inevitably some would survive I guess. I knew the Crabro would change to black (I actually think they still look cool that way). I know I'm weird. Any suggestion for something a bit larger than the others that might be similar? A Cynotilapia Afra Cobue maybe?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
There is a yellow barred Metriaclima, but it's not significantly larger.

If you want the crabro then maybe do 3 species with 1m:7f of each and choose aggressive fish for the other 2 species. Maingano? Socolofi?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
There is a yellow barred Metriaclima, but it's not significantly larger.

If you want the crabro then maybe do 3 species with 1m:7f of each and choose aggressive fish for the other 2 species. Maingano? Socolofi?
Well I may look some more into a substitute for the Crabro. I don't really want to go down the road of changing the whole species line up. The Maingano and the Elongatus are pretty much my favorites (other than Demasoni). I'd really like to have the Acei and the Yellow Lab's with them as I think it will be a great look in the tank. I appreciate your thoughts on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts