Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 135g with mbuna and the only filter I have is a fx5. I will be getting another so here is my question. What would be more efficient throw in price,bang for buck if you will, bio power, mech power and what would be less hassel to service. 2 aquaclear 100s or another FX5? How would you guys set this up? Thanks P.s I have Aragonite as sand substrate, love it so far lace rock and it will be well stocked :D

·
Banned
406 Posts
If you want less hassle just get 2 AC110s. I dont like them though, my AC110 is too noisy to me.

Speaking of a FX5, Im having one being delivered tomorrow to go w/ my Eheim 2217. :drooling:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Bang for the buck would be an HOB. I use 2 Emperor 400's on my 180g along with an FX5 and Marineland C360. You can find the Emperors on ebay for like $40 or so. It's been a while since I bought one. Plus the HOB's do a nice job of chopping up the surface water which is good for oxygenation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feed back guys. I will go with 2 hob filters, love the fx5 and the og aquaclears are always beasting.lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Me, I love the FX5. Not a big fan of HOBs.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Outcastgsx,

I use AC110s on all my tanks. However, if you are used to the quietness of the fx5 and your tank is in a communal area of the house i would consider the waterfall noise that is created from the AC110. When you tank is completely full it is quiet, but as soon as the water level drops a bit it will make water slashing noises (just like all HOB filters). I do not refill my tanks between water changes but I also do not mind the noise (one tank is even in the family room).

That being said, I think they are great filters and are great bang for your buck. I have purchased them on eBay relatively cheap ($62).

In addition, as rgr4475 noted it will agitate the surface which is nice if you do not like to run air pumps in your tanks. There are also benefits to having diffrent types of filters running on one tank, although I only run one type of filter.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that info Mlancaster, I have my tank in my room but I know what you mean about water splashing. I have a 55g in the living room and it has 2 peng400's and yeah they can get noisy if the water level drops. I always have my tanks for the most part full and due to the fact that I do my weekly water changes my level drops a bit in a week and its full by Sunday. **** 2 fluval fx5 in my 135 over kill.lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts