Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both and couldn't part with either. But I get the impression this board favors Calvus overall (just my impression from browsing 2 years worth of posts). Being so similar, which is your personal favorite and what makes you prefer it over the other?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
For some reason, I think comps are less graceful looking than calvus. Although, some of the recent pictures here have made me take a second look at some of the comps... :popcorn:

My calvus are out and about all the time, I think that has a lot to do with the tank decor and tank mates. I can't confirm this from my own experience as I've only worked with calvus, but I remember some folks have mentioned that comps are more aggressive to other fish.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Comps look a bit more tribal in my opinion – which I kind of like. Nonetheless, I went with Calvus because common opinion seems to be that Comps are a bit more aggressive.

My Calvus aren’t shy at all either. It’s gotten to the point that a couple of them follow my hand around when I clean the tank – it seems I stir up some tasty treats while I’m cleaning the substrate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't confirm this from my own experience as I've only worked with calvus, but I remember some folks have mentioned that comps are more aggressive to other fish.
I went with Calvus because common opinion seems to be that Comps are a bit more aggressive.
I have Comps in with T. Vittatus, Caudopunks and Multies (tank 1) and all are ignored. On the other hand, I have a Calvus (tank 2) who wanted nothing more than to kill all 6 J. Transcriptus in the tank (had to move him to tank 1). I also have 2 Calvus (tank 3) that dive for cover whenever the harmless Caudopunks swim overhead from 12 inches above. And they only eat if you drop the pellets right in front of their noses.

So of the 2 species, my 3 Calvus are higher maintenance than my 6 Comps. My comps are out and about all the time being good tankmates and enjoying life. Go figure.

My calvus are out and about all the time, I think that has a lot to do with the tank decor and tank mates.
I agree, but I think individual fish differ as well.

It's a draw for me, I like having both species and the opportunity that provides to contrast and compare.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I find it hard to answer. My calvus are WC and my comps TB.
For sure my comps are far more entertaining and fight and do loads more stuff as I kind of have six "tean agers" in one tank. Lots of sex and violence for an Altolamp.
My calvus are prob the best fish I have ever had. (And I prob molly coddle em a bit bless em) Just wish they would get down and produce young. :oops: :)

Would be interesting to have a group of TB calvus and a pair of WC comps to compare but until then I guess its prob just set up and aim difference making me think the comps are more fun to have.

All the best James

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24Tropheus wrote:
I find it hard to answer. My calvus are WC and my comps TB.
For sure my comps are far more entertaining and fight and do loads more stuff as I kind of have six "tean agers" in one tank. Lots of sex and violence for an Altolamp.
Ditto, my Comps are the identical scenario, but the violence is sporadic and short-lived at this point. But never a dull moment and loads of fun to watch. My TB Calvus are much more subdued in their current tanks and yes, they get coddled. But to me, the fact that they are so different is all the more reason to keep both. :thumb:

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have both...love both. My calvus are less shy, have nicer skin..more details. However I definitely prefer the comps more...they have a more tribal shape, and look more cooler to me...but truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I like em both. I've had Muzi gold head & orange fin comps and calvys (BCWP) all wc.

I think my Muzi gold head comps are a little more entertaining than my calvus but that could be due to ratios: Comps (3m/3f) and calvus (1m/5f). I enjoy the sparing & posturing when there is more than one male.

I would have a hard time chosing one species over the other.

Russ

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't say at this point, only have kept comps so far, orange & yellow, not sure of the ratio yet. One of my yellow is larger than the others and the same goes for my orange. Those are the two who show the most aggression, towards their groups and the others. Maybe the males?? To small to tell but isn't that usually the case, males get the biggest when growing them. Want to purchase some Calvus two groups when I get my 180 up and running this fall.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Why choose? Just get both! I've got a group of 4 A. compressiceps "sunset" (1m:3f) in the same tank as 1 each of A. calvus white and A. calvus black and they all get along fine. The bigger male comp bullies everyone in the tank a little, but really only when they get too close to the pile of shells he has claimed. The interaction between the species is really interesting to watch, as both the calvus and comps display great finnage when facing off, and bend their bodies almost in half to deflect an attack from the other. If you've got the space, mix it up a bit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts