Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up for work this evening and caught my little yellow tails spawning. They're only about 1.5" IF THAT. So should I even bother trying to catch her and put her in the breeder, or would it be a waste of time? My Dems and Labs were probably about 2" before any of them started spawning.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
There will be nothing wrong with the fry. I had a 1.5" Saulosi hold fry. Actually still have some of the babies today and that was 2 years ago. There obviously not babies anymore but they are very healthy.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had a 1" yellow lab hold. I didn't get many fry from her though. It's up to you what to do with her and the fry. If she starts to get badly harassed (hangs out at top of tank or behind filter if you have a HOB type), I'd definitely remove her if only to protect her (and her fins).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GaFishMan1181 said:
There will be nothing wrong with the fry. I had a 1.5" Saulosi hold fry. Actually still have some of the babies today and that was 2 years ago. There obviously not babies anymore but they are very healthy.
I wasn't worried about the fry having problems, just figured she'll swallow the eggs. She's still trying to eat, so I'll get her in the breeder first thing tomorrow. If there ends up being just a few fry that would be perfect as I could keep them in the breeder for a while. I don't really want to take the chance of putting them in the grow-out tank w/month old yellow lab fry.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Wait a week and see if she is still holding.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DJRansome said:
Wait a week and see if she is still holding.
+1 on that. Even watch and see what happens. As long as she isnt getting picked on and seem to still be holding I would wait 2 weeks and then pull her out so she is more commited to keeping the mouthful. If she is doing fine, there is no need to hurry and pull her.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
car0linab0y said:
I don't really want to take the chance of putting them in the grow-out tank w/month old yellow lab fry.
You definitly do not want to do that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... she was spitting yesterday morning when I was getting ready for work. I noticed there'd be fry in the breeder one minute, none the next. I thought maybe she was grabbing them back up, BUT it turns out the little ones were small enough to get out of the breeder and into waiting mouths. I was gonna put the breeder in the fry tank when I got home from work, but it was too late. I think one of my other Acei ate most of them. It's belly was extra big yesterday, but it still had the usual appetite, so I doubt it's bloat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts