Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the CF, and I joined because I just wanted to share my excitement! I finally, after years and years, got one of my cichlids to breed! A young pair of Auratus's that I got not long ago from petco. I went on vacation for a week and came back and noticed her mouth was bulgy and she wasn't eating. I waited until she opened her mouth a little bit and sure enough she has some babies in there! I put her in a breeder net for another week and stripped her just 2 days ago. She had 23 babies!!! I was shocked, especially after reading that first time females usually have problems and on average only have about 10 babies! Although I lost 5, due to unknown reason, the rest of the babies are doing very well and starting to swim around finally after absorbing the rest of their egg sac! I'm beyony astounded and cant wait to see what these little guys turn into! Let me know what y'all think! Did I do anything wrong? Thank you guys and welcome me to the CF! :dancing:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

That's an aggressive species. Males can be quite persistent. Best to have loads of females to spread out his brutality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

That's an aggressive species. Males can be quite persistent. Best to have loads of females to spread out his brutality.
Thank you! I have noticed! I have had a big Auratus for about 3 years now and he used to be picked on all the time, and as soon as I put a female in there for him he became the boss of the tank. So I'm honestly not sure if he's the dad or the one I have pictured is the dad. The two I have pictured I bought together at petco. They are in a 125 with multiple other species, so I was quite surprised they bred! No telling who the real dad is! They're getting big fast though!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Typically the dominant male does the spawning. Not always. I've had some sneaky sub-dominant male mbuna get there spawn on. Depends on how the tank is scaped, species and quantities, etc.

Hopefully they are true status and not hybrids. What else is in the tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
Typically the dominant male does the spawning. Not always. I've had some sneaky sub-dominant male mbuna get there spawn on. Depends on how the tank is scaped, species and quantities, etc.

Hopefully they are true status and not hybrids. What else is in the tank?
I believe they are true Auratus's. The babies look just like the mom right now, but idk if that can determine them to be true. I have 5 peacocks, 4 mbunas, 1 bumble bee, a socolofi, Johanni, Oscar, Jack Dempsey, a few fire mouths and a few convicts. The tank is scaped pretty well, with lots of caves and rocks. I will attach a photo to show you!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MJCanAm said:
Congrats! That's a sweet looking tank.
Thank you! I just got the tank a few months ago and was super stoked to get it! Next one is gonna be a 500g hopefully!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The second photo of a male seems kinda like a Melanochromis chipokae, but can't see too well. So the male Auratus you have had for years is the large male in the two above pics? And the darker one was added recently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
noki said:
The second photo of a male seems kinda like a Melanochromis chipokae, but can't see too well. So the male Auratus you have had for years is the large male in the two above pics? And the darker one was added recently?
Yes that's the dominant one. I've had him for about 3-4 years. He's the one pictured in the last post. The other one I have pictured is the one I thought she might have bred with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noki said:
After looking up the Melanochromis chipokae, I think the first one I pictured might be one. He does have almost a full blue head and the body is getting more blue and dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts