Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I keep these fish together in a 150 tall?Can someone point out the smaller ones I know some of these can get 12" or bigger and I want to stick with the smaller ones. I would also like to add 1 or 2 prs. of Kribs.I want to pick a dozen different fish from this list to go with theKribs.How many of each should I start with?

Black compressiceps
Blue flash
Blue neon
Blue ocellatus
Burundi frontosa
Calvus black congo
Calvus yellow
Chalinochromis brichardi
Cygnus
Cyprichromis kasanga
Daffodil
Frontosa
Gold ocellatus shell dweller
Gracilis
Julidochromis dickfeldi
Kendalli
Kilesa
Lamprologus multifasciatus
Lamprologus nigraventris
Leleupi
Marleri
Marunguensis
Melanogenys
Neolamprologus busheri
Neolamproiogus cylindricus
Ochrogenys
Orange belly brevis
Orange compressiceps
Ornatus
Pearly lamprologus
Pearly ocellatus melegrise
Red dorsal caudopunctatus
Red fin compressiceps
Red lafubu compressiceps
Simulis shell dweller
Sunflower
Transcritus gombi

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
No, these fish aren't all compatible, and the kribs really aren't with any of them. This is a four foot long tank?

Pick two types of rock dweller, one shell dweller and a Cyprichromis species. Then we can discuss whether your choices work, and what would be good options from there.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
giddetm said:
Arent all these fish from Tanganyika?
Yes they are, but what's the point? They aren't all compatible, and the kribs are not from Tanganyika.

Zebras and Lions are both from Africa too, would you put them in the same compound at the zoo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not mean to strike a nerve. There is so much conflicting info on the web,I am just trying to figure out a starting point. What would be some good Africans to start with?(low agression and covers the whole tank ie: sand deweller,rock dwellers,and open water)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about this the tank is 48"x24"x30" tall

20 Cyprichromis leptosome â€Å"Utintaâ€Â

·
Registered
656 Posts
When setting up a tanganyika tank, you don't want to pick 12 different fish, you want small groups of a couple species, for example: 8 blue ocellatus, 4 N. Buescheri, 4, A. Calvus, 12 Cyprichromis.

That example gives you a shell dweller (ocellatus) A fish that will stay close to, or in the rocks (buescheri) The calvus tend to explore rocks, and open sand/shell areas along the bottom/middle, and the cyps to fill the middle top water.

That setup would be much more fun to watch the fish interact, then throwing 1 or 2 of 12 species in the tank

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mixing Tangs is not like mixing Malawian cichlids. It is much less forgiving and requires a lot more planning.

The cyps and paracyps are a good start. In a 4' 150, you can probably also get away with two pairs of rock dwellers (altos, julies and non-shellie lamps) and either one group of shellies or a group of sand sifters. Set up the tank with tons of rocks around the back and sides with open sand (if you're dong sand sifters) in between them and in the middle. Paint the back and side walls to simulate additional cover for the paracyps.... they like to hug the walls of tall caves.

This may be a bit ambitious with one too many species towards the bottom, but gives you a realistic idea of what you can do with that space.

Disclaimer: this is sort of a generalization based on the species you have listed above. Not all Julidochromis are the same; not all sandsifters are the same, etc. Pick a few species that are available locally (and that you like) and post 'em up before you buy them.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
giddetm said:
Is there any chance of adding a few of these Ptyochromis salmon or Haplochromis limax to that list?
The problem with these is your water conditions. If you aim those for a Tang tank then Vics will not do as well as they could. Sure you can kind of compromise with Malawi like water but it is a compromise. Tangs do best in Lake Tang like water, Malawis in lake Malawi like water and Vics in Lake erm you guessed it. :wink:

All the best James

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Also the fish from Gombe, are marlieri, not transcriptus... though we are talking of the same fish.

When new to such fish, it is always going to be best to take the most conservative approach.

I stand by my original statement of going with two rock dwellers, a shell dweller, and the Cyps.

Given your selections, A. calvus, J. marlieri Gombe, a group of L. multifasciatus and Cyprichromis leptosoma.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes it is only 4' but it is 30" tall I think the cyps and the paracyps will have plenty of open swimming. I can drop the sunflower because I still need to get a pleco of some kind,How about a pair of albino bristlenose?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not really about swimming room, as they would have plenty of height in a 20" tank. The other cichlids won't use the upper water column much. The thing is the cyps need a place to sleep, and they will need a piece of that 4'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.