Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm how big these grow as there seems to be some websites saying 5" and others saying 7"+ I have 6x of them in a 200ltr tank with som yellow labs and white top afra do they make ok tankmates?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Rob04421 said:
Can anyone confirm how big these grow as there seems to be some websites saying 5" and others saying 7"+
I have seen in a thread a few years back, with pictures of older specimens placed beside a tape measure that demonstrate that they can get over 7".
My male at almost 3 years from purchase measured at 6 3/4":

One of my females at just over 2 years from purchase measured at 6 3/8":

My other 2 females (at just over 2 years from purchase) measured 6 1/8".
They will easily exceed 5". And it's not unusual or unrealistic to expect that they could exceed 6". About the only mbuna that can get a little larger then acei are crabro, williamasi, and maybe some of the Petrotilapia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got sold these by my lfs saying perfect for my tank and beginer seems like these will need tog go once they reach 4" thanks for your pics

·
Registered
165 Posts
bobby375 said:
BTW- photographing fish is as hard as kids and puppies!
Truth.

It is extremely difficult to capture what the eye is actually seeing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm down to four, started with six 15 months ago ... they were probably 2" to 2 1/2" at the time.

The largest is now at least 5" ... possibly a little more.

They're in a 55G with some yellow labs and a few other fish.

They'll get moved over to a six foot 100G tank as soon as I can get the stand built and the tank set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts