Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. How do you keep yellow labs yellow. I have been feeding my labs spirulina flakes and nls. Some of them are really nice yellow, however some look a little darker.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep them nice and yellow?

·
Registered
441 Posts
your staple is spirulina which would be great for a darker mbuna. Health wise it's fine but I'm not sure it will help bring out the yellow in Labs,

Most folks agree New Life Spectrum is the best staple, I swear by it.But I also feed them Spirulina on occasion

I Purchase mine at a big chain pet supply store . However most don't sell it and you might have to purchase it online. They only recently starting carrying it in my town .

Whenever I buy more I make sure to tell their fish guy they are selling the best on the market and no one else in the area is. Hopefully making sure they continue to carry it .

·
Registered
485 Posts
NLS would be a better staple. Labs are more omnivorous & not as big a herbivore, as say a species like ps. demasoni & some others. The darker looking labs could just be stressed.
What size is your tank (dimensions)? How many labs ? what are tankmates?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
May simply be the genes...

Good, solid yellow bodied labs are not easy to find.. Darker shading, barring, etc are the rule it seems. Especially if sourced at the LFS. Well, at least in my area that is the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts