Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanting to know if it would be ok to have demasoni in a tank with yellow labs and if so how many of each would be a good number my tank is 57 g[/code]

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
They usually do fine together. I'm not familiar with 57 gallon tanks. If you let us know the length and width we can give you some suggestions on numbers.

kevin

·
Registered
497 Posts
Those two species mixed creates one of the nicest tanks I have seen and infact is a very popular combo. Their colors contrast each other nicely. You often see them for sale together as package deal for that reason. As far as numbers with your tank I couldn't give you as educated an answer as others here so wait for other responses. I keep both but in a 135gal. tank. I statred with 8 Demasoni and have yet to had a death but I am a rarity and have atleast 16 in there now. The original 8 are 2-3 years old and aggraession is getting bad so I need to add more. I alo have a ton of rocks in there.

Hopfully you get good advice on numbers for a tank your size and that you try them. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yay! Metric units :D :lol:

You need to keep demasoni in a group of at least twelve, it is said. Start with 20 juveniles, and fish out hyper dominant and subdominant males untill they settle.

Labs work well in a group of one male to four females. With the large group of demasoni, I don't think you should do more than five labs. Even then your bioload will be high, so expect frequent (or large) water changes.

Try reading around on the forum, there are many people who want to know exactly this.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Weird dimensions. I put that at about 40x18 in inches?

The above advice of 5 labs and 12 demasoni sounds about right.

If you are buying juveniles I would start with 8 labs and 15 demasoni knowing that overly aggressive or submissive fish may need to be re-homed as they age.

kevin

·
Registered
131 Posts
This combination of fish does look great, but personally i just do all Ps. Saulosi for the same effect, with less agression.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
But then with the M:F ratio, you won't have much blue in there.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Obviously I'm pro-saulosi.

Playing devil's advocate: the blue male saulosis are so striking that they need not outnumber the yellow females in order to make a tank look great.

kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Since it is 40" x 18" I would stick to two species like Demasoni and Labs. You could also do a 5-6 Synodontis lucipinnis catfish to finish off the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts