Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g hex with 6 yellow labs and 3 burmese botia. The labs are extremely skittish, any move i make and they dart away to hide. Even when feeding I have to drop the food in then stand way back, its pretty annoying. The big male I have had for over a year and the other 5 (I believe all female) I have had for about 5 months. I figure they should be used to me by now. Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88 ... 0aeed5.mp4
Here is an example, and I was moving very slow.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Dam* and I though my yellow labs were skittish. :lol: When I come over to feed them I always make a beat by tapping my fingers on my canopy to let em know its chow time and theyll come right up to the surface.

If I walk right up to the tank they swim off real quick too but if I stand there for a few seconds they'll come right back out and let me watch them. Do your labs still swim off if you stand in front of the tank for a few seconds?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iif i'm close to the tank they stay hidden. As soon as I back away they come back out very cautiously, they seem as if they are always "on edge".

Do you think some dither fish may help? The botia are always scurrying along the bottom and are not nearly as scared of me, but that dosen't seem to matter to the labs.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
I might try a couple more labs...like maybe 3.

I would also observe the tank and see if I could ID the most skittish one. Sometimes removing one skittish fish has the rest of the tank relaxing.

The botia are not skittish?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the big male that is the most skittish.

Originally I had 1 botia its about 4.5 inches, and it was darting away with the labs. I recently added 2 more they are juvies about 2 inches and they don't mind me at all. Since adding the 2 little ones the big one has mellowed out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts