Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90gal tank has been around 9 months. No new fish for 3 months.
Fish: 11 yellow labs, 11 demasoni, 2 acei yellow tail, 5 haplochromis sp, 2 clown pleco
Water: temp is 80, NH3 and NO2 - 0, NO3 around 40-50, pH - 7.4-7.6, water change - once a week around 30%, salt + water conditioner.
Today found that one of the labs has a sore (ulcer?) on the left side. Also it looks like front left fin is dysfunctional. No dark spots. The fish behaves normal (social and good appetite).
Other 3 labs have some dark spots (brown or black), maybe 1-2 millimeters in size. Some spots are round, some no.
Is it possible that sore (ulcer) is related to these spots? Maybe dark spots are the earlier stage of sore (ulcer)?
What treatment should I use? Increase/decrease temperature? Add more salt? Add Melafix, Maracyn or some other medications?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody helped me with my questions so I went to local pet store and they advised me to use Melafix + KanaPlex + salt together. They said that Melafix is to heal the sore and KanaPlex is to kill bacteria. Did anybody use the same approach before? Is it safe for other fishes? I saw some posts saying Melafix is not safe and it's better not to use it. Maybe it's better to replace Melafix with something else?

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Sorry you didn't get a response to your questions earlier.

I don't think the small black spots are an issue, it just might be melanin spots.

I would increase your water changes to 50% per week to keep the nitrate as low as possible and lower the tank temperature to between 76F and 78F as there is no real reason to keep them warmer.

I've been lucky and not had to use medications to treat any disease or illness so can't advise on that. I have used Melafix and Pimafix in the past though I can't remember why and I've found both safe to use as directed but did increase surface agitation during the treatment.

Can you get a better picture of the lab with the sore on the pectoral fin?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 Deeda. Thanks for your advice regarding water temperature. I decreased it to 78F. I cannot take another picture of the lab because I put him in a net box to separate him from other fishes and don't want to shock him again.
Here is what I did so far. Lat Friday night I changed 40% of water (plus salt and conditioner) and added Melafix as per instruction. Also I increased the oxygen in the tank. On Saturday morning I mixed spirulina brine shrimp with KanaPlex (as per instruction) and fed all fishes. On Saturday evening I changed 10% of water and added Melafix. On Sunday evening just added Melafix. Today I mixed spirulina brine shrimp with KanaPlex and fed all fishes, will add Melafix later. Tomorrow I'm planning to change 20% of water and continue to add Melafix till 7 day. So far I don't see any positive changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts