Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the site and to keeping African Cichlids. I was wondering if anyone might have an explanation for this. I bought two yellow labs (not at the same time) and in transit to my tank they turned orange and have never gone back yellow. Any idea why? Or if they will go back?
Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
YL are notorious for cross breeding with Red Zebra's. Might just be hybrid's or poor bloodline, did you get them from the same supplier? how big are they?

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Definition of what is yellow and what is orange can differ in the eye of the beholder. Some Yellow Labs may actually be Yellow Lab X Red Zebra hybrids which have been sold commonly. Would need pics to tell what you mean. Also different color lights in store tanks compared to yours may be confusing you. The fish are not going to magically change that way on the way home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might have it with the cross breeding. But they were bright yellow honest..lol. I thought maybe it was the differences with the lights the 1st time because my wife didn't believe me either. So when we bought the 2nd one (from the same store) it was bright yellow, on the way home she checked it was still yellow. But before we put the bag into the tank for adjusting it was orange. They are not very big maybe 1 1/2 inches. I will try and post a pic. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
IMO it's just your lights. Can't tell for sure if they are pure. Get some more and see if they end up "orange".

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1 for the lights!!

My lab is clearly yellow, and also clearly different from my red zebra, but darker than the juvies yellow labs I have;
Sometimes when I take a picture of this adult lab, he looks orange on the picture!
My guess is if you bring these fish back to the store, they will "turn yellow" again...

Try changing the lights of your tank to see if something changes; :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
You're auratus has a reddish tint to it too. Agree that it's probably the lighting. Try using a bulb at the more blue end of the spectrum, like 10,000k (on the blue side of neutral) or actinic (very blue).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
noki said:
IMO it's just your lights. Can't tell for sure if they are pure. Get some more and see if they end up "orange".
How about just netting one during the day and carrying it over to a window to look at it in the sunlight? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Or put a flash light up to the tank. I have actinic bulbs in my 110g and it makes all of my fish look blue.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
RRasco said:
Or put a flash light up to the tank. I have actinic bulbs in my 110g and it makes all of my fish look blue.
Or just put a lemon in the tank to look at it to see if it turn orange too :popcorn:.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kanorin said:
You're auratus has a reddish tint to it too. Agree that it's probably the lighting. Try using a bulb at the more blue end of the spectrum, like 10,000k (on the blue side of neutral) or actinic (very blue).
Yeah I hadn't noticed the auratus before, so I'm moving over to the "lighting" side. The labs still seem to have very little black on their fins for being labs, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also bought a yellow cichlid. Looked the same for 2 days. I added an orange cichlid on day 3 which started bulling the yellow. Day 4 my yellow cichlid turned light orange.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
GoofBoy said:
RRasco said:
Or just put a lemon in the tank to look at it to see if it turn orange too :popcorn:.
:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar experience. My locally owned pet store never carries EYC, so I went to Petsmart and bought 3, which is all they had at the time. Later the local Petco had some in stock and I bought 1 more brought it home and it was much more bright yellow and made the original 3 look orange-ish in color. The ones from Petsmart are either a crossbreed or they could be all females with a duller orange-ish tint to them. From a distance of several feet you can't tell the difference, but get up close and the coloration difference is very obvious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts