Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Male attacks the female the odd time. But he seems to be trying to get her into his cave, when she was in it about an hour ago, he was "vibrating" in front of her.

Does this mean that he's just trying it on with her - or will she definitely be holding soon?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's just an attempt right now. They could have already spawn. Right now my Johanni are doing the same thing but I feel like the female is playing hard to get! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha good for her :)

my male's now terrorizing the female to get into his cave. hope she's gonna be okay :-?

good luck with your Johanni :D Hope the male comes through lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
How many females do you have? Adding more would give her a better chance.

Your female seems interested though and in my experience when the males get rejected that's when they go on a war path. Be sure to keep us posted on the progress!

Things are weird with the Johanni. The male neglects one of the females entirely, the other is a tease, and I think a few hours ago I saw the male dancing for my female red zebra... Can they even breed? I don't know, but if they could a Johanni with orange instead of blue could look really cool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just the one, i bought a "breeding pair" - not knowing it was unfair on the female to be by herself.
I was planning on getting rid of the male tomorrow, he's a lot bigger than the rest of the fish in the tank and obviously aggressive! :(

but seeing them at this, makes me want to wait until he HAS spawned with her. I have twelve of her fry about a month and a half old downstairs already.

Oh thats pretty weird alright!. haha what a man, trying it on with every type :D sign of manliness i guess :D

yeah that'd look great. I just googled it there - it looks like they will breed alright if the male hasn't got any options with the other females ??

Who knows. ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
most likely the fish will be a funny shade of dull grey or brown - the hybrid, I mean.
And yes, they can interbreed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kris1991 said:
just the one, i bought a "breeding pair" - not knowing it was unfair on the female to be by herself.
I was planning on getting rid of the male tomorrow, he's a lot bigger than the rest of the fish in the tank and obviously aggressive!
Yellow labs are not usually aggressive fish. Without knowing what other fish you have or what your tank looks like it's hard to know what's best, but if you want to keep the male and have future spawns, you could add more female yellow labs so that he has a harem to spread his attention over. It would also greatly reduce the chance that he will spawn with other species. If this is of interest maybe you could post a rundown on your tank to get better input. :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my tank i have ;

-Yellow Lab 4inch male and smaller female.
-3inch Tiger Oscar.
-Small Venustus.
-Small Livingstonii.
-A small Pseudotropheus (don't know the exact species)
-Two small female convicts.
-A moonlight Gourami.
-Pakistani Botia Loach.
-Red tail shark.
-Male and female Blue Ahli's.
-Pleco.

He's been aggressive since i got him. it used to be just him and her in a smaller tank and he was still very aggressive to her.

All the rest of the fish get on perfect weirdly enough. even the oscar is a gentle giant!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I smell a mutant - attack of the labzilla. I had one, he was a monster. Take him back, get non-mutant labs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kris1991 said:
Wow. Really? Nina_b Can you tell from looking at him if he's weird or not?
Can you post a good picture of your male? I have also had mixed-blood yellow labs, which are common in many fish stores, and they are more aggressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts