Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this type of question has been beat to death, but I don't know if it could work...

I have 5 small labs in a 33 long right now- the largest one is maybe 2 inches, the others are all smaller. I was trying to grow them out in my 33 because they were way too small to go into my 60 with adults. Anyway, I'm setting up a small fishroom this month and most of my tanks will be moved and the 33 will stay upstairs. I'd really like to move my SA community with bolivian rams to this tank and move the labs to a 40 breeder (gotta love the $1/gallon!). I haven't seen any aggression, I know that the largest is a male but not so sure about the rest of them since they are pretty small. I'm used to the murderous ways of the red zebras and grasheki in my main tank, not the slightly less mean ways of the labs.

Any advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Do you want to leave them in there permanantly or just for growout?

If just for growout, then definitely no problem keeping them in a 40br until they're big enough for your other tank.

If you want to keep them in their permanantly, I would think you could keep a small colony of labs in a single species 40br, maybe a dozen total tops, or I've also heard that a small group of labs (think: 1m:2-3f) and a colony of demasoni might be possible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking just for grow out, but if I could keep them in there as a species tank that would be awesome. I would love demasoni but they are priced a little higher than I want- combined with the need for a large group and none available locally, it's kind of a deal breaker.

Too bad I have a male lab already, I've been visiting a 4 inch male at a lousy chain store and I wish I could take him home, just to get him into a better tank! He comes out of his cave when you go up to the tank, begging for you to get him out of there! I couldn't in good conscience put him in my 60, plus he's $22 (WAY too much) and he'd just get destroyed.

Thanks for the reassurance that they can go in a 3 foot tank without violence!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
:thumb:

you know, if you do keep them in there, you'll probably want more of them. And with labs, you can most of the time get away with multiple males. If you decide you really want to get that fish at your lfs, as long as you get him and a handful of other juvies, they'd probably all be fine in the 40g. especially if the male you want is the biggest, he'll likely mostly ignore the juvies until the females are big enough to breed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I cannot say that I have much experience in keeping african cichlids. But, the way you told us that story with the male lab at your LFS begging you to get him out is very touching. And, speaking of labs and seeing other guys opinions I would get him too.
Last year I went to my local LFS and wanted a betta male. When I entered the tanks room there was only one male that stood up and came to me. I took him right away and he's being happy since then in my home.

Hope you will be lucky as I am. Go for it! :)

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Labs + Dems are very complimentary in color & tempermant..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are making me really want the dems! I just wish I could get some locally. We're in dire need of a good lfs... There's actually more saltwater stores here than freshwater. My husband teases me and says I should open one (he probably just wants some of these tanks out of the house!) Once the fish room gets up and running I might place a decent size order for the fish I want for various setups and see if dems are available and in my price range. If not, I'll keep it just labs in the 40b. My 60g has so much aggression and I've kinda just let them work it out. Adding different species and trying to fix the ratios only works for so long. It will be nice to have a less stressful mbuna tank.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
They are too expensive @ the LFS. I bought 20 @ 4.50 ea. online..

:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.