Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just spotted a few post about yellow labs and bars. Sounds like the consensus is that the bars are normal but undesirable.

Now that I am thinking about doing some selective breeding should I try to breed out the bars?

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
bars have already been bred out. save yourself time and get better quality breeding stock.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Nothing wrong with making a few changes to nudge things in that direction just for fun. If you really want to sell I'd invest in better stock though.

You could remove your least attractive females from the breeding group.

Problem is IME the bars show up on mature (really mature) males and it would take a year or more to see how each generation is going to turn out regarding bars.

IME the juvies can look really clean and still mature into a male with stress bars.

·
Registered
874 Posts
DJRansome said:
Nothing wrong with making a few changes to nudge things in that direction just for fun. If you really want to sell I'd invest in better stock though.

You could remove your least attractive females from the breeding group.

Problem is IME the bars show up on mature (really mature) males and it would take a year or more to see how each generation is going to turn out regarding bars.

IME the juvies can look really clean and still mature into a male with stress bars.
this

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took some advice in this thread and went to the LFS and bought four more yellow labs that are devoid of the bars completely but still have the black dorsal fin and at least some black on their pec and anal fins.

However, I am comparing them to my current stock and noticed that their bellies are much more white than mine. Is that normal? Is this some form of hybrid?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Sometimes the white bellies are temporary until they settle into your tank. Like turning down their colors to blend in.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
They are natural but often people think the clean yellow bodies with the dark black fins are more attractive.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I gotta say I really love the contrast of my dominant male's full black fins against the yellow body. A bit of baring and bearding doesn't bother me.

a shot of the sub male...there are 2 higher up the chain than him

quick snapshot of one of the fry

·
Registered
589 Posts
It took a while, but I have a breeding group of clean yellow labs that breed true, no barring or beards.
If you are willing to look for them, you can find some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts