Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

As I'm finishing up getting my tank all ready to go and fired up, I think I've finally got the two species down that I want to stock my tank up with. I have to go with the labs as they have sparked this wildfire of an obsession, but the second species was quite a *************** to finally nail down and I think I'm pretty sure I want the Mainganos as the other species.

Although I haven't done any extensive reasearch on these, what are your guys experience with these fish? Any compatibility issues with Yellows? Overly aggresive towards one another with the right ratios? Easier/harder to take care of than others? Bredding habits? And would there be a possibiility of hybrids at all?

Any input and experiences would be appreciated!
Thanks, Pat.[/img]

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I think it would be a great combination in a 75G tank and you would want to stock 1m:7f on the Maingano.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have yellow labs and maingano, very nice combination. i also have white top hara. all are getting along so far. the maingano are very interesting fish, all three species have a very distinct personality. the yellow labs just hang out all day, the maingano love the chase each other around, and they are FAST. the white top hara like to hang outside their cave and defend it. my hara's are always at a 45 degree angle, with their tail up in front of its cave. pretty neat to watch them all

·
Registered
89 Posts
I,m a rank beginner, but I currently have Labs (6 2m,4f) and Iodotropheus sprengerae Rusty juveniles. The labs hang in the rocks, and the rustys swim out front without conflict. My only problem is my dominant lab. My grand-daughter calls him Rambo. He harasses the sub-dominant male unmercifuly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had Labs and Mainganos together for over 6 months and things have been fine. They pretty much seem to ignore each other. There is aggression within each species (of course), but not between. I introduced the mainganos in June as juveniles and haven't lost a single one though on two occasions 1 has been beaten up pretty bad, but both fish survived without being removed from the tank (though I was pretty close to pulling trhe one this last time).

From reading on here, I know my experience thus far isn't the only possibility. There are posters who have had bad experoiences with maingano aggression so you may want to use the search function and read up some more.

In November I introduced Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" (Ndonga) and they have fit in just fine. With their potential size they are likely not permanent residents of this tank, but for now they are doing fine, but they are still juveniles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 46G video in my sig is of the ank mentioned above. I have added more juvenile yellows since the video was made. It's overstocked right now which likely has helped spread aggression out in the tank. Makes for frequent large water changes, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm still a rookie with cichlids too, but I've had 6 Mainganos with 7 yellow labs for going on half a year already, never had a problem. They were all about 1.5" when I got them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
daninflorida said:
i have yellow labs and maingano, very nice combination. i also have white top hara. all are getting along so far. Ha Ha me too :lol: for 1 year now. It is a nice combo, all 3 in my tank are thriving & breeding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also have yellow labs with mainganos without issue. The mainganos went after everybody when they were first added to a more or less established tank of labs and socolofi, but they settled in after a day or two and mostly just chase each other (with no severe damage so far, about 6 months now).

I think the labs and mainganos are both beautiful fish, and make a great contrast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bitchin, I'm glad they make good tankmates for the most part. Also its good to hear they contrast each other well, that's what I was looking for with the Labs. Another Q though, although the profiles say the females have similar coloring, but a lighter belly and smaller, how easy/difficult is it to differentiate between the two sexes?

I just got the LED lighting and all the acrylic cut and drilled for the wet/dry as well as the tank stand me and my dad built for my 55 finished, so the pictures of its journey until it comes online, should be posted probably later this week.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Some members have reported difficulty with Maingano in a 55G since they are so aggressive. You might have better luck with them in a 75G or possibly choose another species if you are locked into the 55G.

Color-wise they are monomorphic so venting would be a more reliable way to sex them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm I'm pretty locked into a 55g, but that's unfourtunate that a 55 is to small for them. I was gonna go for a 2M:6F and the same for the Yellow Labs with plenty of THR.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You could always try it, but I'd plan on the need to limit to one male once they mature. And have a back-up plan ready if they are too aggressive in the 55G.

If you make it through the first year and into 1.5 years you should be OK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it, I think if i can make the 1M:3F or 1M:4F I could probably get a third species with the same ratio. 15 fish in a 55g with a 29g wet/dry should be really light load on the system and would look pretty good.

Thanks DJ

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I don't think it is a bioload thing...it is a territory thing. The Maingano are aggressive and want (a) a larger territory than most and (b) will beat up on the females more than most. The way around that is to provide extra females. 1:7f will maximize your chance of success.

That said, nothing wrong with adding a 3rd species. But I would not reduce the Maingano females to do so. Labs can do 1m:4f much better than Maingano.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts