Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am sure you get these questions alot but I'll ask anyways.
I currently have a 50g tank with a group of yellow labs and 1 demasoni in it. I would like to add more demasoni's to my tank. What is a reasonable size of tank to have a group of yellow labs and demasoni's? I am assuming that a 50g is much too small.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Whats the footprint of the tank?

I suspect it may be big enough, but bigger is always better. I think I've seen the combo recommended for tanks like a 40br, but usually only with a trio of labs and 12 dems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll have to get the measurements later, i left my measuring tape in the shop and since it's my day off, i like to stay away as much as possible. :)

i also forgot to ask about substrate, I think i've read that ppl use pool filter sand for the bottom. what is the best and easiest way to keep this clean?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
if you have enough flow in the tank, it will pretty much keep itself clean. If you have to vacuum, you can use a siphon and once you get a feel for it you'll find the sweet spot holding it just above the sand where the poop gets sucked up and leaves the sand. Its not too difficult. You may want to stir the sand every so often, but as long as you only have an inch or 2 depth of sand, shouldn't be too necessary. I never stir my sand, though sometimes I do move it around to fill in pits my mbuna dig.

·
Registered
261 Posts
demasoni dont get very big so u should be fine with the 50g depending on how many labs u have in their already.I would do at least 12 dems though no less.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I would do demasoni only in a tank with 50g. Especially if it is only 36" (let us know exact measurements when you know)|. Start with around 18 of those badboys and be ready to get rid of some males.

I know you probably want to keep the labs since you are asking about adding demasoni but if it were me and i wanted to go for demasoni i would do them alone in a tank like a 50g.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Labs and demasoni would be just fine in a 48" 50G tank. about 15 dems and 6 labs will look really nice...and with decent rockwork the dems should be ok.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm doing 17 dems and 6 YL in my 40 breeder. Will probably thin the dem herd or upgrade to a larger tank at some point, but so far they're all juvies/young adults and it's working well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up getting a tank awhile ago and it was a mixed tank. After looking into it further, I realized that the tank wasn't compatible and cleared out all the fish but the 1 demasoni. I then was offered a few yellow labs so I agreed to take them and then add in a bunch more demasoni's later. Well I didn't get a few yellow labs, he ended up giving me all the adult yellow labs that he had. So i now have a breeding group of about 10 yellow labs and 1 demasoni.

also, what is the best way to determine the sex of demasonis? I just have one so i dont have others to compare with yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have yellow labs n demasoni in my 57 g tank n had no dramas but all my fish are juviniles only have 4 denadoni cause thats all that I could get at the time but will be purchasing more shortly but so far so good but like I said they r all juviniles

·
Registered
847 Posts
drksthr said:
also, what is the best way to determine the sex of demasonis? I just have one so i dont have others to compare with yet.
Besides venting or seeing a spawn (and seeing who drops or holds eggs), I don't think there's a very reliable way. You can usually identify dominant males, but sub males and females look pretty much the same. That's why you buy a large group and then get rid of the extra males as they show themselves (through fighting, spawning, etc.).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts