Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
I have a 65 gallon tank that has been around for over a year, but due to being a little too busy, I didn't (even come close to) fully stocking. I have only:

a) 3 - yellow labs (2 (larger so assuming) males and 1 (smaller so assuming) female
b) 1 - Royal pleco red eye l190
c) 1 - OB Compressicep
d) 1 - Otopharynx lithobates

3 days ago I changed the substrate and hardscape and added several plants (big adjustments). Pre and post water testing showed nothing changed enough for my dip test strips to detect (my chemistry (nitrate, nitrite, hardness, pH, alkalinity) has been consistent for the past year). I have consistently had undetectable ammonia and nitrites, with ~20ppm (or slightly less) nitrate.

The day following the tank changes, my largest and most robust yellow lab was found in the upper corner with frayed caudal and anal fins. Since then he has gotten worse, staying between wedged between rocks- sometimes perpendicular to the bottom of the tank and sometimes upside down. He has no abdominal bloat, scale changes, or anything else that I can notice (I am nowhere's near an expert and very new to the hobby).

My other fish are acting completely normal (eating, swimming, socializing).

I do not have an extra tank for the sick fish (I know I should and I should have removed him).

Any thoughts as to etiology or treatment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like he got beat up, but the pattern is usually different if it's just males fighting. Maybe the pleco went crazy and went after him. As they get larger they can do that, especially if they are not getting enough food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cyphro said:
Sounds like he got beat up, but the pattern is usually different if it's just males fighting. Maybe the pleco went crazy and went after him. As they get larger they can do that, especially if they are not getting enough food.
Thanks for the post- I did completely disrupt my pleco's hangout and he may be a little stressed, too. I'll make sure to keep him well fed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts