Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having this yellow lab female that I don't think is pure yellow lab... It is more green then yellow and is having like white belly with black bars on the side.. Could this be a hybrid?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not an expert, but I don't see any reason to believe she is not a pure yellow lab. The white belly is a trait color that is common in the lakes based on what I have read. You do not see the white belly on the fish in petsmart because they have been cross bred out of having it because they are almost entirely mixed with red zebras. Your black bars on the fins look to be good though. The dark vertical stripes happen when the fish is stressed out which could be observed in the video...so I think no worries?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap, no worries. It is a new fish in the tank since a week. Still hiding a lot . I will rearrange a bit the decorations in the tank.
I also think she is holding.... never ate something since a week... just looking at food like onother holding peacock female...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Yes, there are white belly Yellow Labs living near the Lions Cove Yellow Labs, as well as mostly White Labs. Yellow Labs can be very nice deep yellow and be pure, but the hybrids have been common for over 2 decades also, the mass market breeders don't really care because the juveniles are still sellable. The white belly Yellow Labs were sometimes imported when they were not importing the Lions Cove Yellow Lab.

The fish would not be considered a high quality Yellow Lab, the barring is oddly prominent... you can only guess the history, seems to be Labidochromis caerulus, but a mystery. I would not use her for saving fry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts