Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey this is the first time *** had a fish holding and i want to know how long they normally hold for it is a yellow lab or Labidochromis caeruleus .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you if anybody thinks its different let me know and i dont really know what to do with her should i put her in a new tank how do i get the fry out idk anything about this stuff please help me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can put her in her own 10 gal tank if you see she's getting really stressed out. They don't eat while they are holding and if they get too stressed by other fish they could swallow the eggs. So just keep watching and see if shes ok. You don't NEED to do anything to get the eggs out, she will spit the babies out when she is ready, although sometimes when its the mothers first time she might eat them before she spits. If you want the babies to survive make sure theres a lot of hiding places between rocks where bigger fish cant go.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to put her in a 10 gallon and leave the babies in there till they are big enough to go in the other tank. thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Slightly yes. There will be enough room between her "lips" to barely see the eggs.

You might not want to keep the babies unless you're positive they're pure...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
balachel said:
im going to put her in a 10 gallon and leave the babies in there till they are big enough to go in the other tank. thanks for your help
IMO the best choice. It might prove to be difficult to catch her, take it easy and take breaks if needed so as to not stess her out.
Buy a sponge filter and get it running in the main tank ASAP then in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks take it and 5g or so of tank water along with some substrate if desired to the 10g and add the new momma. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just another option as I hate chasing a mamma around my tank and stressing everyone out . . . I built a "fry pile" in my main tank at the suggestion of someone on this forum. I used round river rock mostly and no openings were large enough for any other fish to get in. The mama lab (twice) spit into the fry pile. At this point, only two have survived and grown up (about oneinch or a bit less), but I wasn't really caring about breeding, just wanted to give them a fighting chance and give mamma someplace to spit into.

·
Registered
830 Posts
sometimes if they feel frightened. but not usually after 30 days. around 20-25 days you can see them popping in and out of her mouth.

and yes holding mothers look like they are chewing bubble gum. :lol:

·
Registered
807 Posts
is her mouth swollen again. She may have rounded them all back up. If you dont see any bulge or any babies then momma had herself a snack

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
chapman76, 5 days with the fry? And she never eats any?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Both of my L. Mbamba have gone that long or more without eating her fry, usually for days 2-3 she will spit them when calm and eat food when offered then may gather them back up, then about day 5 or so she spits for good, then back to the main tank.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
DJRansome said:
chapman76, 5 days with the fry? And she never eats any?
Not that I've ever seen. My grow out tanks are a bit different than some peoples though. I have a decent amount of lace rock tightly stacked on one side so that fry can get in and with any real size cannot. The moms have always typically hid in the small pot I have on the other side. The only moms I let spit are some of my mbuna. Most haps I strip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.