Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon malawi cichlid tank with 42 1 - 2 inch cichlids, all are very healthy, hve good apetite, strong swimmers and very alert

today I did a 35% water change and this evening I noticed one of my yellow labs has a small white rash by his left gill and his left eye is bubbly

anyone know why this could have happened and what I should do to treat the situation???? will he infect my other fish? will he die?

please help I need to know what to do!!!! :-?
:fish:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Maybe he scraped himself on a rock or got into a fight with someone. I would put him in a quarantine tank firstly. A short salt bath might help heal the wounds...maybe. :-?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Yeah I would quarantine. I wouldn't treat for anything unless it gets worse or if others in the tank start displaying similar rashes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sometimes my larger zebras get scrapes from trying to fit into small spaces or a little fight. If you have a tank put him by himself, otherwise maybe get a little hang on fry container and stick him in there. I dont think its a disease.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a bit of a hard time to find him this morning b/c I have about 15 yellow labs in the tank and when I finally found him his bubble eye was a little bit lower and the rash was slightly better just above his left side side fin,, also he was swimming stronger and eating,, last night was swimming weak and not interested in food ?? but seems a bit better :) ,but im still not 100% sure hes gonna be better all the way

you guys mentioned salt bath?? please elaberate on details,.. table salt? epsom sea salt ? etc etc how much etc

also if anyone know what a healthy Malawi cichlid tank should be set at for temprature?
PH levels ?
amonia levels ?

kind regards and thank you for the help I appreciate this much ,im new to the cichlid game and i want my fish healthy and strong :fish:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN said:
I had a bit of a hard time to find him this morning b/c I have about 15 yellow labs in the tank and when I finally found him his bubble eye was a little bit lower and the rash was slightly better just above his left side side fin,
Is he still in the community tank?
If he's showing signs of stress, I would remove him into a quarantine tank before you perform a salt bath. -Do you have a small tank set up?

YELLOWRAVEN said:
also if anyone know what a healthy Malawi cichlid tank should be set at for temprature?
PH levels ?
amonia levels ?
Ideally, the temperature should be anywhere between 76-79. I prefer lower temps because it lessens aggression.
Ammonia and Nitrite should be 0.
pH anywhere between 7.5- 8.4
You also should have a buffer so the pH does not fluctuate.
Take a look in the library section: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/water_chemistry.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/lake_malawi_setup.php

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is in the tank with all the other b/c I do not yet have a smaller tank setup, i will try to aquire one by next week.

he looks alot better toady but still signs of the rash and stress levels are not shwoing , he seems active and stronger today. :p

my tanks water temperature is set around 78
and i have many rocks and the PH should be good,... the tank and fish looks very very strong and healthy other than that one yellow lab.

you mentioned BUFFER so the PH dosent fluctuate ? what does that refer to

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked all my levels with my chemestry kit ( Dr. wellfish )
my levels were

Nitrate 0
Amonnia 0
PH 7.4
tank water temprarture 77 degrees

dose that all sound good?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE EXCELLENT ADVISE AND THE EXCELLENT AND VERY HELPFUL LINKS =D>

MUCH APPRICIATED :fish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts