Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 large Firemouth
6 Yellow Labs, young, ranging from 2-3"
1 big Pleco which I'm moving to a small tank.

All the Labs are young, I never though I'd get any fry when I saw one hiding in a rock.
Anyhow, one fry survived, it's just under half an inch and has a distinct black stripe.

He's been hiding near his(her?) mother for the last 2 weeks but is getting curious.
I'm afraid the Firemouth or one of the larger Labs will eat it or it'll get pulled into the intake on my Fluval 405 strainer.
I turned the flow down so he's not swept away, he's quick but would be no match for the FM/strainer.

Do I move it to the 10G hospital tank? I don't think it's cycled yet although I did run the filters on the main tank for a few days.

I'd really like to keep this one as it's my first and he has good markings.
Any suggestions are very welcome... I need help!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have no idea how you'd catch a little fry in a big tank, presumably with rocks and hiding places. I have two baby labs living in my main tank right now. I built them a "fry pile" of smaller river rocks, etc., They are the only ones who can fit in it. I feed a flake food that drifts into the pile, so they are eating and growing. When they get big enough not to be eaten, I"ll get rid of the fry pile.

Firemouths shouldn't be an African tank . . .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Phonic said:
I turned the flow down so he's not swept away, he's quick but would be no match for the FM/strainer.
Regarding this, just place a bit of net or sponge around the strainer, one thing less to worry about then for any future fry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts