Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had 5 yellow labs in my tank, introduced 2 new ones about 3 days ago. Now I can only find 4 of them. I have rearranged the cichlid stones in the tank, did good clean out of it today, re-arranging everything and it is still no where to be found. All his tank mates arent that much larger than then he was/is so I'm not so sure he got eaten. (Unless he was tore completely apart first) The only thing I didn't do was remove an empty each cichlid stone to see if had died or is holding tight in one of them. Getting frustrating :-?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Um, if you had 5, added 2 and can only find 4, you're missing 3. :lol:
If I'm looking for a reclusive fish, I tap lightly on the glass before feeding time and they usually all show up.
And I get it, you have 5 total after adding 2 ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Weird. I would give it a little while, also look outside of the tank just in case. Hes probably holed up in a rock though.

I had a female zebra disappear on me for a few weeks one time, i had no idea where she was and gave up looking, then one time i saw a little face poke out of the hallowed out plastic wood piece i have. Very small hole, didnt ever think she could fit in there. There she was. She lived a good life until her and another female zebra bit each others fins off to the point they couldnt grow back and eventually both died. Wasnt even the male, just girl on girl action. :?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have a powerhead with juvies / small fish, look there, lost two red zebras one night b/c I didn't have anything blocking the extreme current it sucked up and couldn't find'em afterwards for a while :( felt bad. Also like others said, check around the tank, fish jump all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you keep aquariums long enough, you'll arrive at the understanding that fish have the ability to mysteriously vanish without a trace. I've had several tropical community fish disappear over the years with only tiny tankmates. Check the obvious spots (filters, behind/under the stand) but don't worry too much if you can't find any trace, just imagine fish aliens came and took them away.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fogelhund said:
Got a cat or dog?
Two dogs but they werent the ones behind it this time. I was adjusting that flow direction of my PH today and flushed out the dead body of a 1 inch yellow lab. :( He must have passed a couple days ago but ended up in one of the smalled cichlid stones I have. Ever since I got him he always hid way up in the back left corner, behind the Heater and a floating plant I have up there. I checked the water and everything looked spot on with Nitrites @ 0, ammonia @ 0 and Nitrates @10. I hope it was just "fluke" and will not affect the rest of my stock!!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If he was always hiding, someone was harassing him. Watch for anyone else who is always hiding like that. Stressed fish can become ill and infect the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts