Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of yellow Labs 2.5" - 3" long that I've been growing out for females for my male 5". They are starting to mature & one of them is now holding for a week. I have 2 pairs of multies in the tank & after they spawned, my one female multi shown signs that she was being encouraged to spawn (dominant male ruffed her up in front of the dorsal fin). If she did spawn with the Labs, should I strip the Lab at 2 1/2 - 3 weeks? Im worried with such a small mouth that the kittens might get stuck so to speak.

dominant female multi before labs spawned

dominant male

holding lab

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Pull the female out at two weeks and look to see what is in her mouth. If you see Cats, strip her. If you don't throw her back until the cichlids would be ready.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at what age will the fry (alb or cat) be free swimming? I know the cats hatch earlier then the cichlids so they can prey on them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cats grow quick on fish eggs. I strip at around 7 days. the cats are around 1/4" long. Two weeks, the cats may be too large to get out of the labs mouth.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while she doesnt open up enough for a good look, I can see a larger figure and the ocassion eye looking out. She's getting picked on more now & is getting pale, I'm pulling her out of the 55 this weekend. She's been a good 1st time mother so far.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had a yellow lab hold 'to term' once and actually wistnessed the fish spit. The fish looked like it was gagging and struggling to cough it up but out came one lone little baby syno. If you let any host hold synos too long there will be fewer of them as they turn on each other after there are no more cichlid eggs to eat.

Btw, the lab was fine, except perhaps for an "oh my! I hope no one saw that, we'll just leave that one be" look on it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I concur woogie... I've stripped an Aulonocara host at 7 days and gotten 14 catfish, but on other occasions left the fish to release on her own and gotten 6-7.

Better luck next time exasperatus...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts