Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to take a picture now as i currently dont have access to a camera.

I have a 55 gallon mbuna tank that i do 20% water changes on every weekend. A few months ago I treated the tank with metronidazole when a few of the fish had white stringy poop.

I have had this fish for probably 6 or so months and it has showed these signs on and off on several occurences. This is the only fish that this occurs with.

Whenever I feed the tank it seems that the lab im talking about is very efficient at snatching up food... more so than any of the other fish. His stomach has becomed bulged and it appears that a small part of his intestines protrude from his anus (as it has in the past).

None of the other fish have these symptoms, and he seems to be a healthy fish with a healthy appetite. Typically i feed once a day, 6 days out of the week, with one off day. If i feed lightly or dont feed for a couple days, then this problem seems to go away and the fish looks fine.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this bloat or something else? :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
limpert said:
it appears that a small part of his intestines protrude from his anus (as it has in the past).
Sounds like this fish is not normal anyway. Hard to tell if a physical anomaly like this could cause the blockage indicated by swelling and passing mucous.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jchild40 said:
What if it's a female with a lodged egg?
Does this happen often? from the behavior of the fish (between the other labs) i would assume this is a male although i am not totally sure.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what this might be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.