Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this yellow lab up, its the one with the faint black bars on it. Was wondering if this is common, he is stressed since one of my other labs will not stop harassing it right now. All the facial features tend to look like a lab but the dark bars are far different from my other one which is in the picture.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked up a new Yellow Lab for my tank from an independent LFS recently. It was the only one out of about 20 that didn't show any barring or bearding, so I only got that one. :(

My tank has been established for about 8 months and this is the first time I have added a new fish to the community of Labs, Aceis and Maingano. Poor guy/girl was picked on pretty relentlessly by most of the other fish for the first few hours until he/she finally wised up and sought refuge in the tank decor.

By the next day, the established fish hardly paid any attention to the new one at all, so things did settle down fairly quickly. What was surprising though is that even in this obviously stressful introduction, the new Lab never showed any dark barring at all and remained solid yellow, albeit a little paler than the others.

I have noticed that there are very few Yellow Labs available at the LFS that are a) not hybrids and b) have no barring. Seems to me the barring would be easy enough to breed out, so I don't understand why there are so many with this trait.

Of course, I quarantined him/her for a week before introducing it to my established tank.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would venture that unless you get it from a very reputable dealer/know the dealer the LFS gets it from - any yellow lab that never, ever shows any barring is suspect of being a hybrid. Add to this the cross breeding to get a pure yellow yellow lab that is so common. That, and none of my mutant hybrid labs have ever showed any barring at all (but a pure YL added to flesh out numbers, and who was sadly bullied to death, and came from very good stock, showed light barring occasionally). Maybe this is just my experience.

Breeding out barring takes ages, since barring only shows up as a permanet feature on quite mature fish.

By this I don't mean that there aren't gorgeous, pure yellow labs that never have any barring. I just mean that we should be sceptical. A lot. Especially with these guys, who breed with everything, and who we humans have bred with everything for whatever purpose.
To the OP, if you're unsure, ask the LFS/your fish source. They know where they got that fishy, and they will be able to tell you whether it is pure or not. Of course, this assumes honesty on their part.
Bars like that, when stressed, is normal in a pure yellow lab.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I tend to agree with everyone, I actually picked him up because I do like the barring on him. He looks like a pure yellow lab when comparing body features. I just thought he looked a little different from my other YL so he would be a good addition to the tank as you can tell my other one is pure yellow with black on his fins and has never showed any barring.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Was just thinking about this last night, except with my socolofi. I have a few in the main tank that have some faint black barring. They've had it since I they arrived. So is the barring a normal thing in the socolofi too, where breeders try to weed out the barring.

I have a couple that are pure powder blue, with no barring.

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts