Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? She hasn't been eating for a few days either. Should I take her out of the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Yes she is holding. If she is not harassed you can leave her in the tank until day 18. If you want to remove her sooner, you might want to wait until day 8 to be sure the eggs are fertilized.

This is not because the male will continue to fertilize them. :lol: It is because if she has unfertilized eggs or is going to swallow them for any other reason...it will probably happen in the first 7 days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, I have 2 Synodontis Catfish in the tank also. What should I expect?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
I have multipunctatus in my mbuna tank. I get 100s of mbuna babies annually but I'm lucky if I get one multi baby annually.

I would expect mbuna.

Only the multipunctatus cuckoo breed. If you have another type of synodontis then definitely expect mbuna.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I strip her? If so, at what day? I have a 20 gallon tank up and running ready for them,

·
Registered
169 Posts
dmpjr said:
Should I strip her? If so, at what day? I have a 20 gallon tank up and running ready for them,
Wait at least until day 18 to make sure you get free-swimming fry. You can probably go a little longer. She will naturally spit the fry somewhere between 21 and 30 days usually.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Do you have a male yellow lab? I see some red zebras in the pic.
I've been letting them spit, checking/stripping, and returning them to the big tank after they've eaten.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brinkles said:
Do you have a male yellow lab? I see some red zebras in the pic.
I've been letting them spit, checking/stripping, and returning them to the big tank after they've eaten.
Yes I have a male Yellow Lab.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
If there are red zebras in the tank there is no way to know the lab fry are pure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
If there are red zebras in the tank there is no way to know the lab fry are pure.
yes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dumb question, but I am new to African mouthbrooders. I have a yellow lab also, who has a mouthful of fry, one of them has escaped, and is hiding under the rocks, appears to be about 3/8" long, and comes out and eats, (very carefully) when I feed. She has been holding them in her mouth for about 2 and a half weeks. Question: How do i "strip" her of these fry? I have a male yellow lab, but also 2 male red zebras, but I would still like to keep the fry even if they are hybrids? I would be able to tell quickly if they were crossed with a red zebra surely, after they mature? Correct?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
No a hybrid can look exactly like either parent. If you have tank space for 20 fish over 8 years, nothing wrong with keeping them!

There is a video on stripping in the library.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I learned from the video in the library, but labs have super tiny mouths and I couldn't get eggs out of my small lab sp. hongi when I tried. I've been letting them spit and then stripping whoever is left so the female can eat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi you all !

I have one question..

I noticed 3 Yellow Labs holding..Since no more than a couple of weeks..i guess!
Could you please let me know if i can transfer them(the 3 at a time) to another tank..
and expect them to give off fry safely?

Thanks for a reply

Tanli

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
They might intimidate each other. In this scenario I would strip all three on the same day (assuming they have all been holding a sufficient number of days).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your reply DJRansome

Of the 3 Yellow Labs 2 have a mouthful of fry..for the other one it seems to me that she has started to hold for less than 2 weeks..

So i will strip only the first 2 on the same day..and wait for 2 weeks more before stripping the other one...

This give rise to another question..

Can i safely put different batch(2 to 3 weeks intervals or more) of fry together?
I'm rather new in cichlids keeping..

Tanli

·
Registered
554 Posts
your younger cichlids will probably get eaten, although I've read that some people manage it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
tanli said:
Can i safely put different batch(2 to 3 weeks intervals or more) of fry together?
I'm rather new in cichlids keeping..
If the older fry are big enough to kill the younger fry, they probably will. I have done what you are talking about but the older fry were more like 2 months older, and they killed many of the new fry. So I think it will depend on how much the first fry grow before the new batch comes along. If you want to keep as many of these babies as possible you should plan on keeping them separate, just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Nina_b for the reply..

So i wont take the risk of adding different sibblings of Yellow Labs fry i the same nursery tank..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks pack-rat for your input..

Things are becoming clearer to me..

Tanli

1 - 20 of 23 Posts