Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have 4 yellow labs, 4 dolphins and 4 petricola in a Lido 200l(55gal).
I felt like this was too small if I wanted them to breed and I recently bought a 435l(115gal) and I've had it up and running for 2 days.
One of my yellow labs seems to be holding and also seems to be ready to release, but there are no safe spots for her to do it in.

My questions is, could I release her in the 435l? Given she would be the only fish in there(along with possible fry) she wouldnt produce enough waste to make it a problem(?).
The water was just tested and is fine for the moment, but of course its gonna vary. What do you think I should do?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Why not put most of the media from the established tank in the new tank for an instant cycle. Move the adult fish to the new tank. Strip the fry into the 55G with maybe 1/4 of the established media retained for the fry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going from a Lido 200 "internal" filtration system over to a Fluval FX6 external. Could I just move all the sponges into the baskets?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Yes, but not all. Three quarters of it though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok nice, this would probably be the best way to do it. However I already put her into the 435l, and Im afraid I might stress her out if I move her again. It wasnt easy getting her from the 200l :roll:
She is breathing heavily and is losing some color on her head. I thought swollen chin meant she was holding eggs/fry, but maybe she is sick?
Here's a link to a gif I made of her chin/breathing https://giphy.com/gifs/YVqf21UzmKJMpONcuL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok whaaat is happening... I put them all into the 435l, along with all the filters from the Lido 200. All my fish are blind now.. even though the water parameters are fine.
I have a "HQI-60" and only using the blue fluorescent lights on it. Could this have blinded them? This is so sad :(

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Is the HQI-60 a light fixture? Can you post a link to the mfg. website or the product page?

Why do you think the fish are blind?

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I wouldn't think that light fixture would be capable of blinding fish since it was designed for that use.

The fish may just be scared from being moved from one aquarium to another and this may also account for them not wanting to eat anything. If they are darting around in the tank, it may also be normal since they were recently moved and they are worried about being bothered again.

Do you have any type of Ultra Violet (UV) unit on the aquarium?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not UV. Its pretty obvious they're blind. Staying mostly still on the bottom swimming slowly into walls, plants, eachother etc. They also used to follow me with theirs eyes and react to hand movements. Now.. nothing.

I bought the 4 petricolas 3 weeks ago, and one of them had a white eye. Maybe its contagious, but the other fish didnt get it until they were stressed by the moving? I tried treating for popeye when I first noticed it, but it didnt work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts