Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one male and one female yellow lab. I just recently saw that my female has spawned. She has eggs in her mouth. I am not 100% sure that the male has fertilized the eggs yet. He keeps doing his little dance all over her and is chasing her. She wants nothing to do with him. Once I found out she has eggs in her mouth, I divided the tank and put her and the male together. She seems really stressed and is hiding out at the top corner. My question is, should I separate the male and female? How do I know if the eggs are fertilized? I'm sorry, but I am very new to this and I really want the female lab to produce some offspring. Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Dont bother separating them yet.

Wait about 3 weeks, then pull her - put her into a small tank with a sponge filter.

Then strip her at your convenience.

Welcome to the forums!

By the way, you should generally mention what size tank you have, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, sorry, I have a 55 gallon long tank with a fluval 305 and an aquaclear 70. Her and the other male have about 25 gallons divided off as their own section. I did this when I saw that she had eggs in her mouth. Are you sure I should wait 3 weeks to pull the male? She looks really stressed and he is chasing her and she is freaking out. Here is a pic I managed to get of her:

90% of the time she is cowering in the top corner of the tank because the male is trying to do his mating dance on her. [/img]

·
Registered
40 Posts
im somewhat new also but i was under the impression that once she is holding the eggs are already fertilized. Dosnt the female lay the eggs on a large flat rock then the male fertilizes them and then the mother scoops them up in her mouth???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Once the female wants nothing to do with the MALE you should separate the two IMMEDIATELY. What other tankmates do you have with them? Separating them from the other tankmates wasnt really nessary unless you have other males (sub-dom YL/red zebra) in your tank whom you dont want to mate with the female. Again SEPARATE the female IMMEDIATELY from the male. The stress from him can cause her to spit the eggs whether the eggs are fertilized or not.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Generally if the eggs aren't fertilized she will spit them within the first week or so. My first holding Demasoni did that. Was all pumped as I seen her mouth packed full then about 4 or 5 days later she had nothing. If in a couple weeks she still is holding then you will know for sure they are fertilized is what I was told.

Also when my fish are holding (have one right now) I dont separate the tank at all. Just provide alot of hiding places for her and then like said before pull her in about 3 weeks to her own tank or separate by herself and strip anytime after that. I stripped one at about 16-17 days and still had a lot of egg sac on them so needed to be tumbled. Now I am waiting for 21 days and gonna try it again. Good luck and Congratulations. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Since you only have 2 labs, I would separate them. Being harem breeders, you should have multiple females per male just so this sort of thing doesn't happen, they all take a turn dealing with his aggression.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now that I'm rereading my comment, it seems to be unclear. Since you have the pair isolated, I would remove the male from the female. But since your tank is big enough you could just remove the divider. Make sure she has adequate hiding spaces though.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
GTZ said:
Since you only have 2 labs, I would separate them. Being harem breeders, you should have multiple females per male just so this sort of thing doesn't happen, they all take a turn dealing with his aggression.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Okay, in this case, I agree - but keeping only 2 mbuna together is a recipe for trouble in the first place.

My recommendation was for if you have appropriate stocking levels, which I didn't ask about. My fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I took out the male out and she is doing fine so far. It's been about 1 day and she still has the eggs in her mouth. I do plan on getting a few more females, it's just a matter of picking females out of a group from my LFC. I have another question. Do I not try to feed her this whole time? She won't eat now cuz she has eggs, but is she going to not eat the whole time (1 month)?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Correct.

Some folks have seen a mom skim some food, but it's rare.

That's why it's really hard to starve a fish and really easy to overfeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts