Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprise...I've got fry. I have a 60g with yellow labs (3:1) and Salousi (1 female). It looks like I have 4-5 fry but I have no idea what to do now. What do I feed them? I don't have another tank to put them in if they need to be separated. They are staying in the rocks and hiding well which is why I'm not sure how many there are. IF they survive, can I keep them in this tank? Any help and guidance is appreciated. :-?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Are you serious about raising large quantities of fry? If you are, then you need a second tank - a ten to fifteen gallon would be fine. Not so big that the fish cannot find the food at that size.

If you are not all that serious about raising fry, make sure you have quite a bit of rock for hiding places and put in a little crushed flake or crushed pellet food once in a while but not a whole lot or you will pollute the tank. Some fry will survive. In the real lake 90% of the fry would be eaten so don't feel bad. If you do feel bad, then you have to get that small tank.

Personally I love raising fry and all my main tanks are breeding tanks but it is not for all. A fair bit of work and you have to eventually sell fry, give away fry, or buy still more tanks!

By the way, my yellow labs averaged 15 fry per spawn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not serious at all. I honestly didn't plan on it and was shocked to see them yesterday. I have quite a bit of river rock stacked all the way across my tank and they all look to have individual hiding places. I haven't seen the male lab bothering any of them. I fed them crushed flakes yesterday so I will continue with that. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
punman said:
Are you serious about raising large quantities of fry? If you are, then you need a second tank - a ten to fifteen gallon would be fine. Not so big that the fish cannot find the food at that size.

If you are not all that serious about raising fry, make sure you have quite a bit of rock for hiding places and put in a little crushed flake or crushed pellet food once in a while but not a whole lot or you will pollute the tank. Some fry will survive. In the real lake 90% of the fry would be eaten so don't feel bad. If you do feel bad, then you have to get that small tank.

Personally I love raising fry and all my main tanks are breeding tanks but it is not for all. A fair bit of work and you have to eventually sell fry, give away fry, or buy still more tanks!

How do you sell them, fb, craigs? I just did a quick search and didn't see anything. Is there a market?

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
punman said:

How do you sell them, fb, craigs? I just did a quick search and didn't see anything. Is there a market?
Check with your local shops...I have a tropical fish shop near me that takes my fry; he gives me a percentage of what he can sell them for in store credit. Depending on the fish, usually 25 to 50%. Last time I got 12 nice Platys for a display tank in my front room in trade for 3 Red Zebras and 8 Kenyi. He also buys my Demasoni when I have them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts