Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 12 fry have been free swimming for about 2 weeks, they seem to be very happy in their own tank.

How fast will they grow? Like how long will it be till they are, say, an inch?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
3-6 months depending on what you feed them, how often you change the water, temp and whether the fish is the runt or dominant in the group.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, so what should i feed them?
I'm changing the water twice a week.. is this adequate for the fry?

Its my first time raising fry.
temp is about 26 degrees celcius.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have raised fry only twice so far so not an expert.

Some people recommend changing water every day or two. I have not tried this frequency so don't know if it makes a difference.

I like to feed baby brine shrimp, but you can feed the same thing as the adults (crush it up).

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can crush up the pellet/flake you have--make sure it's finely crushed though. I've heard people give brine shrimp too.

I keep my tank 80-82 deg F (a little higher than main tank (78)) to speed up growth. They eat more though, and create more waste.

I'll do water changes three times a week (approx. 50%). Usually, the fry almost double in size each week up to a point. The bigger they get, the slower they grow (or maybe it's because they start so tiny it looks like they grow faster :) ) I have mine in a 10g, so it's not hard to keep up the WCs.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
You can also feed fry a higher protein food, I have personal experience with New Life Spectrum Grow Formula.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had recently stripped 3 female labs. I started them on hikari 1st bites & when they got larger I've been crushing tetramin flakefood for them. They're about an half inch now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts