Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am just cyling my tank ready for 6 off Yellow Labs. They are all young at the LFS so I would ideally like to put them all in together. They are all about 1" and will get feed bloodworm and flake mainly, at least in the beginning.

I was wondering what sort of ammonia load these fish would create?

I am new to all of this and but from what I understand it would be best to to load my tank with a similar level as the spike has now passed.

Any and all help greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You will probably be fine putting in all six fish. What size tank is it?

Adding Biospira has helped me to avoid any ammonia spikes. Otherwise you can ask the LFS for some used filter media to help boost the bacteria right off.

Check the water daily for ammonia and nitrites and if you notice spikes, do immediate water changes as necessary until the bacteria kick in.

I would avoid the blood worms in yellow labs though. They can get bloat from them. A vegi flake and/or pellet would be better.

Post some pics when you get them please!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Don't feed them blood worm, they will get bloat as cichlidwhisperer has already stated.
Feed them NLS and a high quality flake rich in spiralina and plant matter

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Its a 40g Jewel 180 BF.

Its very good to know about the bloodworm as I was told by the LFS that that was a good food for them. The misses will be well chuffed that I wont be putting them into the tank though!

I have been doing a fishless cycle and now the ammonia is being eaten at a considerable rate so i'm hoping that there wont be any ammonia spike (and any unnessisary water changes)

I will post up a pic of them in the LFS when I find my phone cable. Particularly as three of them seem to have dark vertical strips. I think they may be crosses.....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
6 labs. won't upset your water parameters at all as long as your filtration is good. What filtration set up will you be running?
Try to buy really good quality labs, which these days are hard to come by.
Alot of the times LFS owners no jack **** :lol: . If you have any real questions just ask the people on this site for the best answers :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What are the dimensions of your 40G? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? You don't want to add fish until ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Gibbs, i'm starting to realise that!!

I'm intending to use the standard juwel filter at least at the beginning then maybe adding an additional one. Is it going to be worth adding an air stone?

My 40g is 920 wide x 45 Deep x 55 Tall.

In 1 day ammonia goes from 2 to 0.5ish, Nitrites are up at 5 and my niterates are now at 15. I am hopeing that the nitrites will strat droping soon as they have been like this for a couple of days now

·
Registered
162 Posts
hi spenkyg and welcome, i am 3 months into ownership and have learnt alot! Did a fishless cycle but still had a spike which i found strange but

1. Make sure you test water with a good test kit (mine was faulty hence the spike happened and was not nipped in the bud beforehand)
2. Get a good external i would say thats what i did in my 90 Litre tank and am now going to use that along with another external on my new 400 litre tank (have been bitten by the bug!)

I was told to feed a varied diet, pellets one day, spinach the next, then meat etc. I buy the frozen blocks and put them in a cup and feed once defrosted, the fish love the meaty ones the most :wink:

On that note bought some yesterday and was suggested to try the brine shrimp with garlic and they loved it

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sounds like your filtration will be good then, like Cardiff said external cans are the best.

Wait until your water parameters are spot on before you add your fish. You already know that :thumb:

Best food for these is NLS and high quality flake rich in spiralina and plant matter. Mine get fed NLS and Sera Flora once a day in the one feed, most days.

Stay away from anything high in protien, like bloodworms and other frozen meaty treats. Although they are omnivores they contract bloat very easily when fed a high protien diet or over fed in general

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its good to know that my filtration will be addequate, at least at the begining :) (one dy soon, external!)

I'm having a problem with my LFS, they seem to know whats bets and after doing a fishless cycle they still want to realise the fish 2 by 2. The only problems that i have with that are:

a. My bacteria (that I have workrd soo hard for) will die back. They currently are taking 2 ppm per day.

b. My fish may end up being agressive towards each other, which given that they have been raised together may not be a problem otherwise. My LFS is talking about a week ish between 3 and 6. Could this cause a resonably happy group to get unstable/upset?

Also I have pictures waiting. Do you need an external site to put them up? If not how? I have tried the Img* tab and to no avial!

Thanks for your ongoing support![/img]

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm not sure about a 40g. but I added 6 fish to my 55g. tank in the first batch and I wasn't even cycled :oops: and I didn't loose any. Alot of us here use Photobucket to post pics (it's free and pretty easy to use). Yes, I think you NEED to use an outside source to post.

I'd also consider looking at another fish shop for fish. Those yellow labs don't sound like very good quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi People,

well I have finally found my cable. Below are links to my fish while still at the shop. Note the stripes. Are these definatly yellow labs? I have seen some that look like this at the transition into maturity. Comments on quality also greatly appreciated.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k373 ... shop03.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k373 ... shop02.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k373 ... shop01.jpg

Tank wise my nitraite levels are starting to drop slowly so hopefullyu I should have them here soon! :)

Does anyone have experiance (good or bad) with leaving the rockwool on plants)

Also a LFS has some baby fish that look like the one to the top left of this site (black with spots). What are these and would they be suitable with the labs?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Those definitely look like yellow labs. A little dirty, but that will often go away when they mature more. As for the fish at the top, I think that one is actually a Goby, but the picture looks a lot like a much more common fish which as a juvenile is black with cute white spots. I suspect that is what you were looking at. It is a Tropheus Duboisi. It is a Tanganyikan Cichlid. As it matures, it changes looks entirely. The little white spots disappear, the face turns blue and often it will have a white or yellow stripe around the entire body just behind the blue head, depending on the exact location varient.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1864

There are also a bunch of other pictures under different locations. All of these have very specific dietary requirements (strict vegitarians) and get rather agressive as adults. I know some people do mix them with Mbuna; however, I think they do better by themselves.

The Gobies are a totally different fish from Lake Tanganyika tith totally different personalitites. The one above is a Eretmodus cyanostictus (Kasanga). http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1520
But these are much more rare in LFSs and I would be surprised if that is actually the fish you saw. I don't think they would mix well with Mbuna (they are territorial, but not like Mbuna.) I am about to get some of these as they have really interesting mating habits and are biparental mouth brooders (Mom carries them for 11 days or so and then transfers them to Dad who holds them for the remaining 11 or so days before they are free swimming.) Probably the easiest way to tell the difference is that the spots are not pure white like the Duboisi.

Please update us with what they turn out to be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Hey!

Just a 'lil suggestion... You should definitely try to see if your LFS will give/sell to you one of their old/used sponges or any filter media that you can easily take home. This will definitely help with the bacteria in your tank.

Remember not to feed your fish too much food. Very little at first until your tank has been properly cycled...otherwise, you will experience a hike in your nitrate levels. You can also do water change in the meantime to help with lowering the nitrate levels in your tank.

Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stopped by the LFS on my way home this evening to discover that my 6 yellow labs had now become 4. The other two had apparently die during the previos evenings. Cause of death was apparently fighting.

Is this likley, they are certainly quite active and have been at the LFS for a couple of months now and are in a small (300x300x300mm) Aquarium.

If this is the case, are these fish going to actually calm down in my 40 gal aquarium?

Would they hav gort aggressive towards additional males only? Could that mean that I now have the perfect 3 females to one male balance?

My nitrites are droping slowley so I should have my tank cycled ready for how ever many remain this week!

·
Registered
729 Posts
You have no real way of knowing what killed these fish. I would not personally risk buying possible sick fish. Is there anywhere else you can try and get fish from?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There is no way of telling what the sex of them fish is without venting them. There are some male characterists but you can never be 100% sure with labs.
I doubt that the Labs. would of killed each other. Fair enough they are mbuna and it may possibly be the case that they have killed a few off. But i doubt it. I have never witnessed enough agro from a lab. to believe it. If they were Demasoni then yeah.
I would look at another source to buy the fish from.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with Gibbs. Sounds like maybe they're feeding you a line... :eek:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'd try to find another LFS to deal with and don't give them to much info lol so they can't say you have to put the fish in 2 by 2 or something else dumb. They might have good intentions but so many times they just don't know what they're talking about. I dunno if they are going by old wives tales or what but their info alot of times is outdated and or untrue. I'd be afraid those labs you were looking at were sick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts