Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First time poster and novice at keeping cichlids.i have had my yellow labs for about 5 months now and yesterday during a water change, I noticed one female looking very full in the mouth.

I haven't paid attention these last couple of days, so I don't know how long she's been this way.

I am guessing she is holding eggs?
It would be great if somebody could confirm if my suspicion is correct so that I can try to prepare. I wasn't planning on having fry but I would love to give them the best chance possible. Any comments are highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Definitely holding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Newbie said:
Definitely holding.
Any Idea how to tell how far along she's been holding?
It's going to take a few days to get all the suplies I need for fry, I'm hoping I'll have enough time to get everything set up...

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Not much of a way. Last time she ate is usually how we do it. You need to run the new filter on the established tank for 2 weeks before moving her.

Check that every fish eats every day. It's also a good way to catch illnesses early.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question - from that photo... HOW do you know it's definitely holding? I am googling and reading to try to figure out thru photos if one of our cichlids is holding and I'm at a loss. Is it the thing on the bottom that looks like a pouch or jowl under the mouth?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Not much of a way. Last time she ate is usually how we do it. You need to run the new filter on the established tank for 2 weeks before moving her.

Check that every fish eats every day. It's also a good way to catch illnesses early.
My supplies are thankfully getting to my by mail today so I will have live foods available. She is still holding. I checked with my other three fish who I suspect to also be females and only one of them, together with the male ate yesterday. He was also busy digging up gravel in other places around the aquarium so perhaps I have a second holding female. I managed to snap some better pictures yesterday also, which hopefully shows the jowls more clearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Fionnyn said:
Old Newbie said:
Definitely holding.
Any Idea how to tell how far along she's been holding?
It's going to take a few days to get all the suplies I need for fry, I'm hoping I'll have enough time to get everything set up...
You probably have plenty of time; the holding period is 3 to 4 weeks. Usually right at 4 weeks in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
You can use adult food, so that is not a priority item. A cycled 20G Long tank with filter and heater is #1. You can run the new filter on the old tank for 2 weeks to get a good crop of beneficial bacteria going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts