Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchaced 3 yellow labs that are now in the 30G QT before adding them to the 75G male peacock tank in a few weeks. These are my first experience with yellow labs and to me they look more golden yellow than the intense bright yellow I often see in photos! They are 1-1 1/2" long and have a thin black line on the dorsal fin, though not a really dramatic line. Are they probably mixed or is it common for them to have this coloration when yound and change as they get older?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just got some more labs too, and the new ones are all like that golden yellow too. Did some looking and there are over a dozen color morphs of the lab that arent hybrids but just different from different collection points from what I understand.

You basically described the labs I just got and was also told that they are pure by someone who breeds alot of these and doesnt have any other fish mixed with his breeding labs. He has 100's of the little guys from fry up to 2+ inches.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was told that they are Labidochromis caeruleus "Kakusa"

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
If you do some reading on the history of the yellow lab in the hobby, supposedly all the labs we have today are from one original pair (Lion's Cove I believe) caught early on and bred by the 100s to meet demand. The yellow ones are not all that common in the lake.

I read somewhere that you would expect to pay over $100 for a wild caught yellow lab.

You don't see them sold as wild caught or even F1 very often...I don't think I ever have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info!! The more I am reading about them the more I realize mine are probably more typical of the look, cant wait to see them grow!! Happy fish keeping everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts