Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while feeding I observed that one of my Labs has got a beard kind of black area around his mouth...

Does this mean he is a male or do female Labs can have these as well???

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it just appeared suddenly, I would say it's likely a stress reaction. It doesn't indicate sex.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have seen some females show a beard when stressed, but Riceburner is correct it is usually the males that show it more often.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it did not appear suddenly, it started with slight blackish area and expanded over to what Riceburner's picture shows over a week or so...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I see...I thought it appeared overnight. I would still say most likely stress. My two top males were arguing over status for about a week and both showed bearding. After things settled, the lower one kept a pencil-thin mustache, and the top dog lost any sign of a beard. Another time a female was getting bullied a bit and bearded up until I put her in an isolation tank. In fact, I thought it must be a male at the time. But when I reintroduced her she immediately spawned (and is now holding). So that's why I say it doesn't indicate sex.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IC, thanks AlphaWild...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Didn't mean to imply it only happens with males. "I've" only seen it on my males. and my dominant male keeps the bearding longest. He also has beautiful jet black fins, where the sub male doesn't.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a 80gallon with 12 adult labs, males and females. The more dominant ones are much cleaner than the rest. The last in the pecking order has a consistant 5 O'clock shadow. All the females have no beards or barring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts