Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious of opinions from those on here at which setup would be a better way to go for a 75gal tank? Many people jump straight to saying use the canister setup and that may very well be the best bet, but I've read a bit about using two good HOB's to help create more current and help prevent dead spots. If I did 2 AC110's it does actually give me more flow. The canister on the other hand gives more flexibility on media with greater media surface as well. I don't doubt there is not a "for sure" answer just curious to the thoughts of people on here. Thanks

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
On a 90 gallon I once used a small Eheim classic and an Aquaclear. I guess best of both worlds but I always seemed to have issues with the spray bars moving and priming issues.

I now use one AC110 and one AC70 on my 90 gallon. Easy access to media and lots of water flow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run a couple eheim 2217s on my 75. If it wasn't in the living room (noise), I'd run one 2217 and an AC110. I'd like a little more flow and the ease of cleaning out the HOB but the increased bio capacity of the canister is nice to have too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I`d say you could do either of your ideas but my 20 years plus in the hobby I found all my AC110`s developed impeller issues and became noisy over time. They filter fine but I would always keep a replacement impeller on hand.

As for the canisters..I run both Fluval and Eheim. ..I guess I`s say I`m an Eheim guy.. They can all break but I`ve had more issues with Fluvals and the Eheims are solid built and very quiet.

If am in your shoes I`d go with your AC110 and an Eheim 2217

·
Registered
767 Posts
The three ways I might consider would be as listed.

First- one fluval fx6

second- 2 sunsun 304/404/704

third and at the very least- 2 fluval 406"s

These are the filters and setups I'm familiar with on a 75 gal tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.