Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips on how best to manage aggression levels between these xenos?

I have a group of six 2-2.5" tembwe alone in a 75 gallon. My most developed male is just now starting to develop his territorial behavior. I've heard some scary stories about interspecific aggression with this species and am weighing my options now before they pair up and really get rambunctious.

I've been thinking of adding a school of smaller cyps but by some accounts I might find that the tembwe ignore them completely. Would they make any difference, or is there a better choice of tankmate to dither aggression?

My other option is to wait it out until a pair forms. Am I likely to break the bond by separating the pair or removing the other fish? Will a single female be able to withstand all of the male's attention?

I really want to have success with these guys... Thanks in advance to anyone that has experience with the species who can offer advice.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't think adding cyps (or anything else) will do you any good. I have kept papilio sunflowers before and it didn't end well, I'm sure it was my own fault though. If your tank has a 48" x 18" footprint, you will probably do better than I did. From what I understand, from all the research that I did on them, is that when they pair up, they will need another sub dominant pair in the tank to take their aggression out on. I think a pair alone would end up with a dead female. I had two pair in a 48" x 12" tank that were doing fine, one pair dominated the other pair, but nothing too serious. Then one female became egg bound and died, this led to two males fighting over the last female, which ended up with one pair left in the tank. The male harrassed her constantly until I had to move them into my 210 Furcifer tank. The female ended up on top of the lid, all crispy and the lone male slowly wasted away over the next few months. I think you are better off just letting the group of six do their thing in the 75g. There are a couple of people on here with lots of experience with Xenos, hopefully they chime in. P.S, beautifull choice of fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. Right now there isn't much rock work in the tank - I've heard differing opinions as to how much the Tembwe prefer, but I may be adding more for additional hiding spots. Would of course do so if I went with the paracyps.

Here's a video of my group I took last week:

[/url]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I keep papilio kipili with lamprichthys and they do well together. The xenos pretty much ignore the killis since they hang in different parts of the tank. They're all breeding as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Micro, that's a really nice tank. Really digging the minimalism (which I know is more for their comfort than aesthetics, but it's still nice!).
Thanks. The xenos constantly sift the sand from edge to edge, giving the ground a dimpled pattern that reminds me of a zen garden.

pasd - I really like that suggestion. Do the killies ever bother your fry? I really want to be able to observe the bi-parental mouthbrooding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The killies never bothered the xeno fries since they hang in the upper half of my 1foot tall tank. The main predators for the fry was the 4 single adult xenos living in the tank. Papilio actually make excellent parents and the biparental mouthbrooding is fascinating to watch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts