Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Tropheus sp. Black "Kiriza" on my last shopping spree to stock my new mixed african tank, and after a little interned research it appears he shouldn't be in with the rest. (of course the store said he could take care of himself...) I have mostly mbuna, plus protomelas and venustus in a 150 tall. He's been hiding in the deepest part of the rock pile, but will sneak out when there's food.

Is there any chance he'll make it in my tank, or should I return him? I've been reading that they should be kept in large groups, strictly vegetarian, etc.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my hodgepodge of fish, to the best of my reckoning:

Synodontis Eupterus
Tropheus sp. Black "Kiriza"ÂÂ
Melanochromis Auratus
Pseudotropheus estherae
Pseudotropheus zebra
Melanchromis exasperatus
Labidichromis Hongi
Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus Zebra (OB)
Pseudotropheus Demonasi
Elongatus Chewere
Cynotilapia Afra "mara point"
Labidochromis sp. "perlmutt"
Melanochromis ?
Protomelas Taeniolatus
Nimbochromis venustus
Astatitialapia Latifasciata

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
See how he does, just feed the entire tank a low-protein, high quality food like New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula. If I had to predict the most unhappy fish in your tank it would be the protomelas. And maybe the smaller mbuna when the venustus gets big enough to snap them up. :thumb:

Are they all males, one of each species?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DJRansome said:
If I had to predict the most unhappy fish in your tank it would be the protomelas. And maybe the smaller mbuna when the venustus gets big enough to snap them up. :thumb:
They would no longer be unhappy then... :wink:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most are male and only one, but there are a few groups of 2-3. Hard to sex small fish! I have a hospital tank, and a friend close by that could take sub males. There's 39 fish all up now.

I'll have to keep an eye on the protomelas, thanks for the heads up. The venustus are 2-3" so I can enjoy them for awhile before they suck up any little guys. It's a tall tank, the protomelas don't have to go near the rocks if they don't want to.

Nobody seems to be causing much trouble yet, but they're all 2-3" so that will change in time! The auratus (3f,2m) are only interested in each otherso far, they and the 1 demonasi are the smallest in the tank.

I'm giving them NLS, it's gone in seconds!

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
With multiples in the tank and especially females your odds for success decline. Good you have a backup plan, hope you enjoy the tank. :thumb:

I think I have maybe 12 individuals (not counting synodontis) in my 48" tank. I'm not saying no room for more, but more than triple that number seems amazing to me. :eek:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tropheus got bloat so I put him in the hospital tank. He was gone the next morning.

After reading up in these forums, it appears the best way to do this is to pick only a few unrelated species, get a number of them, and get rid of the excess males. I'm starting to wish I had done that.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
All male (one of each, no look alikes) will also work, especially if you go with haps and peacocks.

No fun to have a tank with fish that get sick. :( Sorry for your loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts