Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's an interesting new development in my tank. I found a tiny little fish.

I have a 55 gallon mbuna tank and I think that only one fish is old enough to mate. 8 of the other ones are her babies, and I have 4 other ones (that are even younger) that I recently ordered from Dave's rare aquarium fish.

The older nine (Mother and 8 babies) are Metriaclima Estherae. The 4 newer ones are Cynotilapia Afra.

I guess there's a chance the estherae are old enough to mate and I just don't realize it but I didn't see any mating behavior; and the little guy is dark (more like the afra). Also as far as I know there is only one.

My initial theory is that Dave at Dave's fish maybe accidentally scooped up an invisible little fry and sent it to me with my order.

I would say the fish is only about half a centimeter long, and I received the order at the first of the month. (So about 4 weeks). Does this sound reasonable?

Secondly, regardless of where it came from I'd like to give it a good chance to survive. Are they any active steps I should take to help that happen? Including, but not limited to, removing it?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
If I wanted a fry to survive in a tank of adults I'd remove it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.