Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP... I woke up this morning to my yellow lab looking as if he was in a death match overnight. I have not had a serious aggression problem since I set the tank up in De 2010. My question is, my Lab is still on the run but from time to time he hangs out at the top of tank kind of sideways. His bright yellow color is starting to look like he has some dark/discolored spots on him, it wasn't like that yesterday. His fins are still intact and he uses them well to escape would be assailants. The other cichlids must sense his injurys because the least aggressive ones are now trying to work him over. What can I do to help prevent murder on 6th Ave. Is it hopeless or can he be saved. I have a 20 Gallon with six two-three inch cichlids. They have all but one has been in the tank since December. the only change I have made in the last few days was a new filtration system and moved around some rock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the Lab has been with me the longerest. He was my start into cichlids when I started in a 5galoon tank with just him. (I know, I know 5gallon what was he thinking. Hey it way for my kids, I didn't want to spend the cash if they did't care for the fish. Needless to say I have upgraded twice since from 10g to now 20 and will probably jump to a 40 or 55g within the month, Oh, how addictive these fish are, lol)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am in no way an expert in this as I've only had a tank for a year and started with a 10gal and 2 cichlids myself and have since upgraded to a 55 gal. From what I've read 6 cichlids are too much for a 20gal tank.
If you still have one of the smaller tanks, I would take him out and put him in it to recuperate along with some substrate from your existing tank.
You also want to check your water quality, as from my experience, a 20gal tank is very temperamental, especially with the number of fish you have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Agreed. Because of less space your fish can't escape, if it were say a 4 ft 55 gallon there's enough space that the fish give up after chasing out of their territory. Also with less water volume water conditions can get out of hand very quickly. I would take him out or if you don't have another tank try to find him new home until you get larger aquarium. Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Poor lab. Agression kicks in as the fish grow up, so it's not unusual to hear of a 'peaceful' setup to turn suddenly nasty. Get him to safety. This sort of thing ends in a dead fish.
20 gallons really is a bit small, but it depends on your footprint - to an extent.

I'd say time to get that larger tank :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.