Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could get two FX4 for $200 a piece ir $250 apiece for FX6 for a 120 gallon tank? I'm leaning towards the two FX4's...

·
Registered
154 Posts
It depends on what fish you're putting into the tank. Is your 120 a 4 foot tank? I personally like going above and beyond for filtration, so I would go with 2x FX6.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There's nothing "wrong" with the Cascade filters, but IMO you really can't compare the Cascade filters to the Fluval FX line of filters. Vastly different. The amount of media capacity, quality, as well as flow output is much higher on the Fluval's. Again not putting down the Cascade (I've had them as well in the past) but just saying they are not one I would compare to the FX5/6. They are more comparable to Sunsun filters than the Fluval fx series.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Steve C said:
There's nothing "wrong" with the Cascade filters, but IMO you really can't compare the Cascade filters to the Fluval FX line of filters. Vastly different. The amount of media capacity, quality, as well as flow output is much higher on the Fluval's. Again not putting down the Cascade (I've had them as well in the past) but just saying they are not one I would compare to the FX5/6. They are more comparable to Sunsun filters than the Fluval fx series.
Yes, absolutely, like comparing a toyota to a bmw. But I have a 55g and two cascades fit the bill while two fluval's would have been too expensive. I wanted to run two canisters regardless so I had to cut corners.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I wouldn't say you cut corners at all. If you had went with a pair of fx5's on a 55g then your fish would have been living in a whirlpool :lol: So pair of Cascades are a much better choice for that :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
cardosoj said:
I could get two FX4 for $200 a piece ir $250 apiece for FX6 for a 120 gallon tank? I'm leaning towards the two FX4's...
I run a FX4 and an Eheim 2215 on my 75 heavy stocked Mbuna tank and both really doing the job. Lots of surface agitation. I have 2L of SeaChem Pond Matrix in the FX4 and 2 layers of Pinky Floss and 1 medium 1" foam in the center baskets without the red trays. Leave them out not needed as they take up space.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Toyota's fun forever ... so why spend the extra money for what the name. I save the extra money towards fish or lighting. You can add any media or ? To your canister for several different results. SAVE YOUR money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts