Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A show tank of many different Tropheus, all different variants, 1 male of each variant. Just an idea.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
You could likely keep them all together, but just like any colony, only a few males would colour up, which kind of defeats the purpose of it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean no females, just one of each male from a range of variants just to show the range of colours available within the Tropheus genus. With no females i can't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If they don't color up then you would not see the color range. Sounds like only a couple would be dominant and only those would color.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Mr Mbuna said:
I mean no females, just one of each male from a range of variants just to show the range of colours available within the Tropheus genus. With no females i can't see why it wouldn't work.
The males each claim a space of 24" where they let no other males in regardless of collection point. Because its only the females that school what you'd have is 3 or 4 trophs claiming the ground space while the others get constantly beat up. Some males won't even tolerate another male within the confines of a 75 gallon. There's a thread in the Tropheus section answering a similar question. Another problem I would see arising is that there are significant size differences across the Tropheus genus and even in the different collection points. The larger fish would just punish the smaller individuals. You could always try it and it may work out, but its difficult to buy a single fish, and the single trophs you see for sale are always problem males.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts