Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am pretty new to this hobby and just recently purchased a 75-gallon tank. I really want to create a South American Cichlid tank and am wondering if the following fish be compatible together.
1 x Gold Nugget Pleco L177 (Baryancistrus sp. L177)
1 x Severum (Heros efascticious)
2 x Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
1 x Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus)
1 x Salvini Cichlid (Cichlasoma Salvini)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually not a good mix. You have African, South and Central American. Salvini is normally a very dangerous tankmate for those that can't compete. The FM and Severum may be ok together, I suggest no to the Jewel and Sal

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Hello!
And, I like the answer you got from 'Oscar6' on stocking the new 75G. But, I mean if you really want to 'create a South American Cichlid tank'? Great! But, why mix in the other non-SA fish to do it? So, if you have not already stocked this tank? (I know.... it's been over a month since you posted this!).
My stocking recommendations are as follows,
- 1 X Gold Nugget Pleco
- 1 X Severum
- 1 X Green Terror
- 6 X Silver Dollars
That would be a decent SA community tank! The silver dollars should be initially purchased with a bit of size to 'em, to avoid possible early losses. They'll grow quickly enough, and are generally fast enough in a four foot long tank to avoid 'mild' piscivorus interest from those recommended cichlid occupants in the tank, (That means, NO Oscar, Pike or Guapote's!). You'll need to provide plenty of BIG rocks, driftwood and fake plants to keep the Pleco dark, safe and happy. Plus, those objects will provide 'sight line' breaks in the aquarium to help your silver dollar dither fish stay relatively safe, and will help to keep your cichlid occupants happy with each other. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.