Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i know plenty about mbuna but have little experience with larger haps. I'm getting close to setting up my 125g all male tank and am looking for a few suggestions on some haps that would work in my tank. I'm going to do a mix of mbuna, haps, and peacocks. I have extra tanks for any fish that doesnt work out.

Mbuna (currently have) that will be in the all male 125 (6')

*Labeo Fuelleborni katale
*Pseudo Saulosi
*Rusty
*Cyno Hara
*Perlmutt
*M. Callainos (might not keep- have to see how he gets along with hara)
*Cyno Afra Likoma (might not keep - have to see how he gets along with saulosi)

I also have one generic petstore peacock (was labeled Red Shoulder) that has been living with a group of callainos.

So anyone have a few haps they would recommend for my tank?

Howa bout a few peacocks?

I'll probably place the order sometime next week. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I tried two aggressive male Yellow labs that I removed from my lab colony because they were being PITA's and put them in with adult haps/peacocks and they ended up stressing the Hap/Peacocks out so I would be hesitant with your mbuna list.

If you are willing to move anything that doesn't work then the best advice I have received for keeping haps and peacocks together is sticking with Copadichromis, Lethrinops, Otopharynx, Placidochromis, & Protomelas to stock with your peacocks.

Basically, you want to stay away from the larger piscivores - Nimbochromis, Tyrannochromis, Champsochromis, etc. for the peacocks look and be their best - not to mention having your dwaft mbuna being lunch some day :D.

Pretty much anything you can get a hold of is worth a try in an all male tank; some will work some won't. For reference, my all-male 125 stock list is:

Aulonocara "German Red"
Aulonocara koningsi
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiloelo)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri"
Aulonocara sp. "Walteri"
Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe)
Placidochromis electra
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"
Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli)
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef)
3 - Synodontis Euruptus

I also have some juvies in a 90 that I will try males of when they grow up some day. I went peaceful. If you want to try with the mbuna, maybe slightly more aggressive species like:

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka" and/or Lemon Jake
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red)
Sciaenochromis fryeri
etc.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight Goofboy. I think i will buy a Placidochromis electra, Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (or possibly the Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania") and then maybe 1 or 2 more peacocks and see how that goes. I also want to get a S. Fryeri.

[email protected] Which two of your peacocks would you recommend for a mixed tank like mine?

My final stocking numbers would be:

6-7 Mbuna
3 Haps
3 Peacocks

How does that sound for a start?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Depending on the size of the peacocks/haps you choose, that's probably a bit understocked, but that's not a bad thing. See how it works out and adjust accordingly :thumb:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
GaFishMan1181 said:
Thanks for the insight Goofboy. I think i will buy a Placidochromis electra, Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (or possibly the Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania") and then maybe 1 or 2 more peacocks and see how that goes. I also want to get a S. Fryeri.

[email protected] Which two of your peacocks would you recommend for a mixed tank like mine?

My final stocking numbers would be:

6-7 Mbuna
3 Haps
3 Peacocks

How does that sound for a start?
I am going to agree with dielikemoviestars in that you may want to add a few more to start.

Some will work out some will not - it is far easier to remove a troublemaker than to add a single new fish. So, I would look to add a couple more of each of the Haps/Peacocks up front if you can swing it and try to get them sexed but still sub-adults if possible.

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Aulonocara sp. "Walteri"

would be my top choices with the mbuna then the Aulonocara stuartgranti species would be the next spunkiest.

I am not a fan of the OB peacocks, but my understanding is they should hold their own just fine as they tend towards the mbuna level of aggression.

Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts