Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only placed this under tank setups b/c we're also in the middle of that and haven't added our fish yet. We have a piece of Texas Holey Rock that has a flat surface but has become covered with bright green algae, but it looks like there are worm tunnels on the surface with at least 2 tiny worms that are visible.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I remember having very small worms in one of my tanks a long time ago... I can't remember if it was a f/w tank or my reef, though. I'm pretty sure it was my f/w, and it was a sign of overfeeding. Which doesn't help you at all, because you have no fish and haven't fed them anything. What are your water parameters?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
I remember having very small worms in one of my tanks a long time ago... I can't remember if it was a f/w tank or my reef, though. I'm pretty sure it was my f/w, and it was a sign of overfeeding. Which doesn't help you at all, because you have no fish and haven't fed them anything. What are your water parameters?
We're in the middle of doing a fishless cycle, and I'm thinking we're almost done. My nitrates are 80-160 and my ammonia and nitrites are 0 about every other day. I just posted an earlier topic about a fishless cycle. We've never had fish in this tank; however, we did keep one filter that was seasoned on a smaller tank while we were building our background. Maybe by feeding the filtration that way caused it? It's just weird :)

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Worms or their eggs could have been in the rocks or substrate. You'll never know. At any rate, I have never heard of any worms that are large enough to be visible in a tank and cause harm to fish. Most likely they will be a tasty treat for your fish when they arrive. I wouldn't worry about them.

When I first set up my 240G, I had worms in the substrate for at least a year. I first noticed them after introducing fish, but they could have been there before. Despite the Frontosa digging through the substrate, a small worm population persisted for a number of months, and I always saw some when I did some gravel vacuuming. When they were free floating in the water, the fish would eagerly snap them up. I hadn't though about the worms in years until I read your post, but I haven't seen any in a long time now. I guess the Frontosa eventually grew bigger and could do a better job sifting through the substrate :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Every so often I get really small with worms in my tank. When a fish sees one, its goodbye to the worm. I was worried when I first encountered it, but apparently there are no ill effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts